Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constrain 2 angles equal ?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
5240 Views, 14 Replies

Constrain 2 angles equal ?

Is it possible to constrain 2 angles equal in a sketch ? This without setting a value to them ? Per
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure if I understand the question but I think what you want is a mirror constraint around a common center line?
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Yes you can set 2 angles equal using construction geometry and equal constraints on the geometry. You would need to make right angle triangles. Kathy Johnson "Per Lundman" wrote in message news:3ff99d37_7@statler... > Is it possible to constrain 2 angles equal in a sketch ? > > This without setting a value to them ? > > Per > >
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Here's one way...

The cord lengths are set equal to one another.

--
Sean Dotson, PE
Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
http://www.sdotson.com
Check the Inventor FAQ for most common questions
www.sdotson.com/faq.html
-------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
"Per Lundman" <perlundman@msn.com> wrote in message
news:3ff99d37_7@statler...
> Is it possible to constrain 2 angles equal in a sketch ?
>
> This without setting a value to them ?
>
> Per
>
>

Attachment not added (too large): "Angles.zip"
Message 5 of 15
dmatz

I had this same problem. Set the angle constraints, that angle will have a dimension number(d154). Set the other angle to the negative dimension number(-d154)
Dave Matz
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

I've never tried it but would a mirror constraint work? Richard Per Lundman wrote: > Is it possible to constrain 2 angles equal in a sketch ? > > This without setting a value to them ? > > Per > >
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I think what he means is without using a dimension. In this case you have only option for a mirror constraint.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

I've sketched a pentagon with no side equal to another one and I want to make wathever 2 angles equal. (I don't know what to use it for though, just fun.) Per "Per Lundman" skrev i meddelandet news:3ff99d37_7@statler... > Is it possible to constrain 2 angles equal in a sketch ? > > This without setting a value to them ? > > Per > >
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Dave,
Did you try this (-d154)? You can't set an angle dimension to negative as you described, and don't need to anyway.
If the dimension method will do what you need (instead of mirror) then place the first angle dimension, then before placing the second angle dimension click on the first angle dimension when the edit dimension dialog box pops up and the second angle will always be equal to the first. J.D.
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Same theory as before. Make the "cords" equal.

--
Sean Dotson, PE
Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
http://www.sdotson.com
Check the Inventor FAQ for most common questions
www.sdotson.com/faq.html
-------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
"Per Lundman" <perlundman@msn.com> wrote in message
news:3ff9a7b8_5@statler...
> I've sketched a pentagon with no side equal to another one and I want to
> make wathever 2 angles equal.
>
> (I don't know what to use it for though, just fun.)
>
> Per
>
>
>
> "Per Lundman" <perlundman@msn.com> skrev i meddelandet
> news:3ff99d37_7@statler...
> > Is it possible to constrain 2 angles equal in a sketch ?
> >
> > This without setting a value to them ?
> >
> > Per
> >
> >
>
>

Attachment not added (too large): "Pentagon.zip"
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Perhaps the easiest way to constrain an equal side equal angle polygon is to draw a construction circle from the center to one of the points (or flats, but then you have to add multiple tangent constraints.) Change the radius or diameter of the construction circle and the polygon goes with it. (The other SoftWare automatically creates a construction circle whenever you use the polygon tool - nice feature.)
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

I got it, I made 2 equal construction circles around each angle and made a cord between the legs of each angle and made the cords equal. It worked. thanks alot ! Per "Sean Dotson" skrev i meddelandet news:3ff9ae05_3@statler... > Same theory as before. Make the "cords" equal. > > -- > Sean Dotson, PE > Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert > http://www.sdotson.com > Check the Inventor FAQ for most common questions > www.sdotson.com/faq.html > ----------------------------------------------------------------------- > "Per Lundman" wrote in message > news:3ff9a7b8_5@statler... > > I've sketched a pentagon with no side equal to another one and I want to > > make wathever 2 angles equal. > > > > (I don't know what to use it for though, just fun.) > > > > Per > > > > > > > > "Per Lundman" skrev i meddelandet > > news:3ff99d37_7@statler... > > > Is it possible to constrain 2 angles equal in a sketch ? > > > > > > This without setting a value to them ? > > > > > > Per > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 13 of 15
BearsFan

OK So this is a really old question.  Thought I would respond since someone else might find this question via google as I did.

1.  Constain Angle 1.  Leave the dimension at whatever dimensionyou happened to draw it at.

2.  Make the dimesion driven.  (To do this click on the dimension, click on the driven button [button next to the button that makes a line a construction line])

Notice you can now just manually change the angle.  and the dimesnsion on shows what it currently is at.

3.  constain the second angle.  At the input stage, select the first angle.

Message 14 of 15
DonStauffer99
in reply to: BearsFan

I wanted to do this with 2 requirements:

1. No additional dimension.

2.Fully constrained sketch.
My solution is to make identical isosceles triangles with construction lines, one for each angle. One of the 2 equal sides is constrained to be equal to some random, relatively short line; maybe one of the legs of one of the angles. Then for each angle, I make the equal sides of a triangle collinear with each leg of the angle. It can be a bit tricky not making everything deform while you're adding constraint, so adding a few dimensions and changing them to bring things closer to collinear can help.

Message 15 of 15

I actually played around with this a bit and I think I like the appearance better if I put the construction triangles on the "outside" of the angle, and make the sides perpendicular to the angle legs, rather than collinear. It also seems to make it easier to get the constraints on without contorting the figure into a twisted mess. Or maybe I'm just getting better at that.

EqualAngles.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report