Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about fixing missing origin issue

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
darkrunes13
610 Views, 3 Replies

Confused about fixing missing origin issue

I find myself unable to fix the missing/invalid axis issue with sketch 4 of the attached part. After redefining axes and getting a prompt to specify the origin, the cursor gains a + icon but I can't find anything that I'm able to click on. What am I missing? I'm also unsure what caused the origin to go missing. Information on how to kill an origin would be appreciated so I can avoid doing it in the future. In case it makes a difference, the geometry for Sketch 4 was copied from a different part then the straight lines were adjusted as I couldn't figure out how to get the whole copied section to accept being rotated by 90 degrees.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
-niels-
in reply to: darkrunes13

Welcome to the Forum!

Here is the procedure on how to fix those errors:

1. Right-click the sketch and select "edit coordinate system"

2. Select the blue (Z-axis) point and then select a point where you want the origin to be

3. Select either the green (Y-axis) or red (X-axis) arrow and then select the edge to which it should align

4. Right-click and select "flip axis" if needed

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

Hope this helps.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 4
darkrunes13
in reply to: -niels-

Thank you so much! I wasn't clicking on the little blue z-axis first which is where I went wrong.

Is it possible to open the design doctor when there are no constraint errors (no red + to click on)? I originally noticed the missing origin error in the design doctor in my assembly when I created a poorly thought out constraint, but once I fixed that I coudn't start design doctor again since no constraints were failing.

Message 4 of 4
-niels-
in reply to: darkrunes13

Well, the + should be visible in the part.

From the assembly level the only way i can quickly think of is doing a "rebuild all" (on the manage tab).
That rebuilds all the parts and forces the doctor to show errors, but it also causes all the parts to require saving (dirtied).

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report