Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configurable, Linked Custom-Size Assemblies

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ad64
312 Views, 3 Replies

Configurable, Linked Custom-Size Assemblies

Is there any way to make a family of linked, configurable assemblies with custom sizes?

• Sort of like iLogic copy but retaining its link to the original assembly.
  • Or, sort of like iAssemblies but with custom sizes.

I have a sub-assembly that is used in many different assemblies with the key difference being the width and height of it (and its components). These assemblies themselves can change size parametrically and new assemblies are frequently added.

One of my ideas was to make the sub-assembly from a master-sketch driven iPart using Make Components and use parameters to pass the current size of the assembly back to the iPart's master-sketch which would update the sub-assembly so it would continue to fit the assembly at its new size. BUt maybe there's an easier solution using iAssemblies and iLogic. Is there any way to get an iAssembly to support custom sizes?

Is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Steve

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: ad64

Can you give an example of what "custom sizes" is? or define it better..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
ad64
in reply to: mcgyvr

In this instance, I have several different kinds of window assemblies that also vary in width and height, but they all share a common cladding sub-assembly. I would like to make one cladding sub-assembly that can vary in width and height to place in all of those assemblies (sort like an iAssembly). However, here's the catch. Regularly those individual window assemblies have their size parametrically changed. When that happens I need the sub-assembly (and its lineal length components) to also change size dynamically to match. There are also new window products being constantly added so I need to easily be able to create new instances of the sub-assembly to place in those models as well.

Steve

Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ad64

Hi! It sounds like you would like to create a custom iAssembly factory like you could do in iPart. Unfortunately, it is indeed a limitation in iAssembly right now. There is a workflow kind of bypassing the limitation. You could still create the regular iAssembly factory. Then, spawn (generate) the members. Next, open each member file and break the link to the table. The downside of this approach is that the link to the table will be broken and any futhre change on the table will not be pushed to the broken link members.

Please feel free post the request in Ideasstation or give kudos to the one already existing there.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report