Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer recommendations for really large assemblies (over 5000 different parts)

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
marcocruz
1064 Views, 17 Replies

Computer recommendations for really large assemblies (over 5000 different parts)

Hi.

I have really huge assemblys. I use Inventor 2014 Pro SP1 Up2.

I am looking for some kind of a really good computer.

I would appreciate your suggestions for a omputer recommendations for really large assemblies (over 5000 different parts)

What's more important? Ram? HDD? Graphics?

Thanks in advance. Any help is much appreciated!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: marcocruz

RAM plays a very big part in Inventor. So lots and lots of ram. You should also get a pc with a really good graphics card.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 18
mdavis22569
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

I agree that you need the ram ..but you really have the entir Graphic's will crash you faster than lack of ram .. you'll just process things slower with less ram IMO. I have a SSD harddrive with 16 gig's of Ram and and I7 motherboard at home and a the same at work except for it's a 7200 rpm regular HD. However every component plays an important role. I have 55,000 file assemblies and I'm good using: Intel I7 16gig 7200 RPM HD FX1700

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 4 of 18
marcocruz

Thank you both for the replies.

Based on your replies and some reasearch, here is the hardware I am thinking for the new computer:

- Intel Core i7 4770

- Motherboard Asus Z87-K

- Graphics Asus GT 640, PCI-E 2GB DDR3

- Memory Kingston DDR3 16GB 2400MHz

- SSD Kingston HyperX 240GB

- Case Cooler Master K280 + Power Cooler Master B-700W

- Windows 8.1

What would you change?

Message 5 of 18
LT.Rusty

@marcocruz wrote:

Thank you both for the replies.

Based on your replies and some reasearch, here is the hardware I am thinking for the new computer:

- Intel Core i7 4770

- Motherboard Asus Z87-K

- Graphics Asus GT 640, PCI-E 2GB DDR3

- Memory Kingston DDR3 16GB 2400MHz

- SSD Kingston HyperX 240GB

- Case Cooler Master K280 + Power Cooler Master B-700W

- Windows 8.1

What would you change?

CPU / mobo / ram are very nearly what I've got at home, except I've got Z87 Pro, Corsair RAM and a Samsung 840 SSD.  Works great.

I'd get something a little higher up than a 640 for your video card.  Try and get something that ends in -50 or -60, at a minimum.  650/660/750/760, or higher.  6xx vs 7xx is MUCH less important than the difference between x40 and x70.   (That said, I'm still running my 6 year old 512 MB ATI 4870's in that machine.  They're definitely a bottleneck, but not too bad.  GDDR5 and 256-bit memory pathway overcomes a few of the more egregious issues you'd expect.  🙂  )

Also, try and get Windows 7 if you can.  8 and 8.1 are a mess.  I've seen lots of people have lots of problems with 8.1 when running Autodesk software.  Moreso with 8.1 than 8, but 7 is still the best for now.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 6 of 18
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Windows 8.1 is not yet compatible with Autodesk products. Windows 8 works perfectly. (I am running windows 8 and had no issues).

If you take windows 7 and want to upgrade at a later stage you will have to buy 8 again. and I am sure you dont want to upgrade your pc twice. So I would recommend windows 8 and later when Autodesk has fixed the 8.1 issues you can just upgrade your version which would be free

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 7 of 18
blair

The specs for my last workstation are listed below. This unit is now about 16 months old. The only change would be to upgrade the graphics card to a GTX-780 card. Love the performance of the system.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 18
LT.Rusty

@JoAnn_Hogan wrote:

Windows 8.1 is not yet compatible with Autodesk products. Windows 8 works perfectly. (I am running windows 8 and had no issues).

If you take windows 7 and want to upgrade at a later stage you will have to buy 8 again. and I am sure you dont want to upgrade your pc twice. So I would recommend windows 8 and later when Autodesk has fixed the 8.1 issues you can just upgrade your version which would be free

The fix for Windows 8/8.1 will be called Windows 9, and it's most likely going to ship in 2015.  Whether OP has 7 or 8 installed now, he'll still have to buy 9 if he wants to upgrade.

Windows 7 will continue to be supported for a very long time.  I really wouldn't worry too much about the upgrade costs from 7 to whatever else.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 18
dgorsman
in reply to: blair

I'm somewhat curious - how much perceived or actual performance gains you are getting out of the RAID 0 drive setup?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 18
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: dgorsman

I dont quite understand why windows will jump from Windows 8 to 9 in such a short period. Besides windows 8 will still be available so Autodesk will have to bring out a fix sometime. Windows 8 is fine. 8.1 is the one with the issues

Jo - Ann
Message 11 of 18
blair
in reply to: dgorsman

When Inventor loads in under 10 seconds, you can be the judge. All files are stored locally as well so work loads fast as well. The slowest item in your system is the Hard-Drive so anything that can be done to speed that end of the system shows across the rest of the system.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 18
blair

Much the same way that Vista was not supported greatly in the corporate world. Most skipped Vista and migrated from XP directly to WIn7. Sometime rather than apply SP's and Patches, it's easier to change the splash screen and move to a new number/name.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 18
LT.Rusty

@JoAnn_Hogan wrote:

I dont quite understand why windows will jump from Windows 8 to 9 in such a short period. Besides windows 8 will still be available so Autodesk will have to bring out a fix sometime. Windows 8 is fine. 8.1 is the one with the issues

Microsoft is finally accepting that Windows 8 is absolute poison, when it comes to branding.  Same thing happened with Vista.  Vista was so poisonous that a lot of businesses skipped even over 7, and are STILL running XP today.  It's even worse with 8 / 8.1.

The turnaround from Vista to 7 was only, what, 3 years?  That's about the same time frame that's expected from 8 to 9.  Given that Autodesk dropped support for Vista as quickly as they did - and maintained support for XP for as long as they did - I expect that Windows 7 will continue to be supported by Autodesk (and likely Microsloth as well) for a very long time, and Autodesk at least will very quickly push Windows 8/8.1 down the memory hole.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 14 of 18
pball
in reply to: blair

I was lucky enough to get a 256gb SSD when my hard drive died on my workstation. It is nice having programs launch a lot faster and be more responsive. Sadly all of our files from project files, templates, and the parts/assemblies are on an ancient slow server. So if you ever notice slow loading, long pauses while working in assemblies, and general slow down that doesn't seem like your computer would cause. Take a look at your file server.
Message 15 of 18
blair
in reply to: pball

I used to store files on the server, but noticed my analysis times using "Algor" back then, (now Simulation Mechanical) were longer than they should be for the system I was running. Copied the required files to my local machine and ran the same analysis and the times dropped considerably. After than I just kept my work locally and I don't have everyone else on the network upset with me. We did upgrade the network a couple of times since then but I still keep my work locally.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 18

Hello Marcocruz,

mabye these links could provide interesting information on this subject:

1) Minimum requirements for Inventor 2014 (link😞

2) Inventor optimizations for large assemblies (link😞

I Hope that could help

Best Regards

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 17 of 18

All my apologize, I forgot this interesting link

Best Regards

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 18 of 18
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Nicolas.Bourquin

@Nicolas.Bourquin wrote:

All my apologize, I forgot this interesting link

Best Regards

Just out of curiosity, why does that link make reference to AGP slots?  I'm fairly certain that any computer with an AGP slot is going to fail one or more of the minimum system requirements for pretty much any 2014 Autodesk product ...

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report