Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Difference in Parts with Same Color?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
DesignerNinja
1188 Views, 17 Replies

Color Difference in Parts with Same Color?

Hi All,

I'm having issues with parts that were drawn in 2012 being a different color in 2013.  It's the same color just a noticably different shade.  Not all parts have this color difference.

It only does this on certain parts so I when I have a bunch of the same parts mated together in an assembly it renders out with different shades and looks goofy.

See pic attached - All piping is Dark Grey in color  - The verticals right below the top valves are a different shade - When I check both colors in the part files they are listed as Dark Grey.

Is there a way to update this to fix?  Any ideas?  Any Help is greatly apprecitated.

Thanks!

BOXX 4920 XTREME
Intel Six Core i7-4960X OC'd to 4.5GHz / Water-Cooled
480 GB SSD x 2
48 GB 1600 MHz RAM
NVIDIA K6000 Quadro Graphics Card
Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit
"BEAST MODE"
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
swhite
in reply to: DesignerNinja

Have you tried assigning them a dif color in 2013 and then assigning them back to dark grey? Then also was it assigned color in the assembly or in the part? Check in the assembly and see if a dif color was selected there versus what was assigned in the part. You can assign a part a color and then override it in the assembly. make sure in the assembly when it is selected the color says as material.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 3 of 18
Cadmanto

Is it also possible that your video driver need to be updated to the latest?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 18
DesignerNinja
in reply to: swhite

Yes, I did try assigning it a different color at the part level and then back to dark grey - it didn't work.  I assign all my colors and materials at the part level so I don't get mixed up.

I've noticed that this happens when bringing in parts to 2013 that were modeled in 2012.

I ended up remodeling the pipe in 2013 and then it matched - but I sure would like to know the answer to this issue.

Thanks for your reply.

BOXX 4920 XTREME
480 GB SSD x 2
48 GB 1600 MHz RAM
"BEAST MODE"
Message 5 of 18
DesignerNinja
in reply to: Cadmanto

Negative - I updated my video driver yesterday.

Thanks for replying.

BOXX 4920 XTREME
480 GB SSD x 2
48 GB 1600 MHz RAM
"BEAST MODE"
Message 6 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

I haven't migrated to 2013 yet so I haven't had the "pleasure" of dealing with the new material/appearance library but if its anything like the "pre 2013" stuff you can have both parts listed as the same color but the local style has not been updated to match the style library. So one of your parts is in sync with the style library but the others are just outdated.

It used to be that you press the "update" button on the manage tab in the styles and standard section. That would update the local color to match what the style library had.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 18
DesignerNinja
in reply to: mcgyvr

Ya know, I tried that before with this problem and. . . nothing.  Your reply sounds quite logical so I went back in and tried it again - at the part level and at the assembly level.

Well. . . When I go to update the appearances - it puts a freakin' bump map on my parts!  When I update the materials - it makes everything ein my assembly except the pipe in question [and another valve I added] TRANSPARENT!

Ugghhh.  There has to be something I'm missing here.  I'm going to try to work with your suggestion more, but I just tried it every which way from Sunday and the results weren't useable.

Appreciate the reply. . .

Keep 'em coming guys - all excellent reply's so far. . .

BOXX 4920 XTREME
480 GB SSD x 2
48 GB 1600 MHz RAM
"BEAST MODE"
Message 8 of 18
wayne

I have experienced something along these lines.

In my case the solution had something to do with a difference in settings on the "default lighting" on 2013 and pre-2013 parts (View / appearance tab).

Hope this helps.

Wayne

Message 9 of 18
Leanderjk
in reply to: wayne

I have had tons of problems getting the correct colour whiles rendering(Having a part red but still showing up default grey on the render)

I found out that selecting just one face(Opening the Face Properties) and changing it's colour to "As Body" will set the colour of the entire body to the colour you've given the body.

Though I don't know if you coloured your part using the Iproperty Materials menu or in the Solid Body Property menu.

FaceProperties.png

Regards, Leander

------------------------------
Work: Autodesk Inventor 2010
Home: Autodesk Inventor 2013
Message 10 of 18
mpatchus

Have you tried updating the styles in the assembly?

Goto the MANAGE tab and UPDATE.

This is usually the first step I do when migrating an assembly to the most recent release.

This forces Inventor to reapply the color & material styles to all the parts (if you check "Update Styles in all Child Documents").

The image below is from an old 2010 assembly that I just opened in 2012 for the first time.

Update Styles.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 11 of 18
DesignerNinja
in reply to: wayne

I have to tell you - I thought this was going to be the solution.  My settings in the Style and Standard Editor Library for Lighting were exactly the same in both files.

I'm going to mess around with this a bit more, as from my previous experience with this lighting editor has been there are huge inconsistancies from toggling the lights on and off - ie. When I turn a new light on and then turn it off again to get back to my original setting, the lighting does not go back to what it previously was before adjusting. . .Very strange.

Great suggestion - I'll continue to work with it.

Thanks Wayne.

BOXX 4920 XTREME
480 GB SSD x 2
48 GB 1600 MHz RAM
"BEAST MODE"
Message 12 of 18
DesignerNinja
in reply to: Leanderjk

"I have had tons of problems getting the correct colour whiles rendering(Having a part red but still showing up default grey on the render)"

Tell me about it.  I do alot of renderings of shipping containers.  I run into huge problems with the corrugations just randomly changing colors - especially when I have added a split face to the corrugations to add decal stripes to the outer conex.

I routinely have to do what you are suggesting by selecting the face and going to face properties and changing the color their.  It's weird because the face will be white, but when I render it it red.  So when I check the properties on that face it says red, but visually is white - It's maddening.

Of course this generally only happens when the CEO or VP of our company comes to me at 3:00 and says "Hey can you get this done by end of day"  And of course I always say "No Problem!"  Then I cuss at my computer for 2 hours.  haha.

To get to your point, this isn't the issue this time - I do use solid body color settings which don't have the As Body / As Part / As Feature options availabe.  They are available when I right click by part and go to properties though and that doesn't have any effect.

You answer did inspire me to go back and double check my color settings in each file in the appearance browser - but they are exactly the same.

Thanks for replying - If I can ever figure this out I will post the answer on this thr'd for those interested.

BOXX 4920 XTREME
480 GB SSD x 2
48 GB 1600 MHz RAM
"BEAST MODE"
Message 13 of 18
DesignerNinja
in reply to: mpatchus

I tried this already but with no luck.  Upon your suggestion I decided to try it again as I may be missing something.

When I update the materials it still puts a funky bitmap on my piping - not good.  Then I tried just updating the styles without updating the materials.

The pipe in question will not even show up in my update styles list!  It will show up when I add the update materials checkbox.

I think there is something to your recommendation and will do some reading up on it - And thanks, I will start doing this practice when opening old files in newer releases.

All great recommendations - I can't believe no answer yet.

Thanks Guys for all your help I will continue to try to solve this problem and post on the boards to let you know!  Sooner or later, this will get figured out!  [Hopefully. . .]

BOXX 4920 XTREME
480 GB SSD x 2
48 GB 1600 MHz RAM
"BEAST MODE"
Message 14 of 18

Hey Guys,

I haven't solved the actual problem yet, but I found a VERY ACCEPTABLE work-around.

In the assembly, I used the Adjust Appearance Button which is on the right side of the Appearance Fly-Down Menu at the top of the screen.  Then I used the paint dropper and picked the color I wanted off of a correctly colored pipe and dropped the color onto the mis-colored pipe.  Had to do that 6 times and hit the check mark each time as it would not let me paint drop all 6 pipes at once.

I'm going to leave this thr'd unsolved as this is a work around and it still doesn't change my pipe color in the original part file.

Thanks for all of your responses and I hope this idea can help some of you in the future.

Johnny

BOXX 4920 XTREME
480 GB SSD x 2
48 GB 1600 MHz RAM
"BEAST MODE"
Message 15 of 18
mpatchus

Are the pipes pulled from content center by any chance?

If so, make sure the material is set to the poper setting in CC for those elements.

Also try doing a REFRESH of CC in the assembly.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 16 of 18
DesignerNinja
in reply to: mpatchus

I modeled all the pipes.  No content center Mike.

Thanks for responding.

BOXX 4920 XTREME
480 GB SSD x 2
48 GB 1600 MHz RAM
"BEAST MODE"
Message 17 of 18
bob_holland

I think that you might want to start here:

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2012/07/migrating-to-2013-materials-and-colors-tre...

It describes a workflow that should prove to be useful for you.

Also checkto make sure that your surface normals are correct.

This will make them appear inside out.

Bob Holland

Autodesk Product Support

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 18 of 18
DesignerNinja
in reply to: bob_holland

Many Thanks Bob.

I will go through this info - looks like alot of good stuff!  I've already found some stuff in there that I think will answer some questions.

I will post when I get this figured out.

Thanks.

BOXX 4920 XTREME
480 GB SSD x 2
48 GB 1600 MHz RAM
"BEAST MODE"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report