Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CoG needed for each sub assembly in a 2 part assembly on an IDW

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jyager
5257 Views, 5 Replies

CoG needed for each sub assembly in a 2 part assembly on an IDW

I found some similar topics, but nothing seemed answered...some links to a CoG plus add in went nowhere also.

I have a two part duct fire damper assembly. The IDW has the combined two part assembly, which I know how to turn the CoG on, so that it can be dimensioned. The problem is each piece will more than likely be hoisted separately so I would like to show the CoG for each piece, not the combined master assy.

is there a way to do this?

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: jyager

There was another post about 1 week ago on COG and assemblies. I think Curtis posted some iCode on for it. Once it's in a IAM IV only looks at the highest most item in the file.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/weights-and-cog-of-a-group-of-parts-in-assembly/m-p/...

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6
pcrawley

To create the dimensions for the CofG in the component parts, create separate drawing views of each part file and include their respective CofG's.

The other trick is to place a workpoint at the CofG on each part, then dimension them both in the drawing. 

Peter
Message 4 of 6
jyager
in reply to: pcrawley

I read the thread mentioned, unless I'm missing something that seems to be talking about getting the CoG in an IAM file. I need the idw/dwg CoG.

I'll have to try the work point method...I dont have room on the sheet to include separate views.

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
Message 5 of 6
pcrawley

Unless anyone has a trick for creating the workpont on the CofG, it's a rediculously difficult thing to do.  (2015??)

Easy solution:  Use another piece of paper and create the extra views!

Hard solution: iLogic can recover the x, y, z locations of the CofG, so you can construct a workoint from three workplanes that are driven by these values.  I've attached a simple part file and the iLogic that drives it - just drill a hole or hack a bit off the part and you'll see the workpoint updates after running the rule.  Hopefully you can adapt it to your models.

Peter
Message 6 of 6
blair

I came across this post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Center-of-gravity-of-each-of-parts-in-assembly/td-p/...

If they are parts you could use the COG utility from Cbliss.com and get the workpoint in the drawing but I think the post about just adding views for the IPT with the COG showing is going to be the easiest.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report