Inventor General

Reply
*Allen, Albert
Message 11 of 16 (17 Views)

Re:

11-25-2002 06:01 AM in reply to: *Roth, Dave
Yep, ATI .
.
.
.
.
\ /
SPLAT!
"Kent Keller" wrote in message
news:69518D13BECF308065B7C1E6BCB821ED@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Don't think that ATI will cut it. You want a nVidia chip
>
> --
> Kent
> Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
>
>
> "Dave Roth" wrote in message
> >
> > New laptop (to be ordered soon): (will replace my 850Mhz Sony VIO)
> > Alienware Area-51m
> >
> > Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz 533 FSB ./ Intel 845e+ich3m Mother Bd.
> >
> > 1GB DDR Ram
> >
> > 60GB ATA100 hard drive
> >
> > ATI Radeon 9000 (64 MB)
> >
> > 15" UXGA LCD monitor
> >
> > Any comments are welcome
>
>
*Dotson, Sean
Message 12 of 16 (17 Views)

Re:

11-25-2002 06:03 AM in reply to: *Roth, Dave
That's why I wanted you to post the laptop info. Don't get this laptop if
all they offer is this ATI card.

A list of those laptops that seem to run IV well (do a search for more info)

Dell M40 & M50
Toshiba Satellite 5105 series
Dell Inspiron 8000 & 8200 series
IMB Thinkpad (I can never remember this model #) the guys at Autodesk use
this one...

probably a few others but not with the ATI Radeon 9000 (64 MB) card.

--
Sean Dotson, PE
http://www.sdotson.com
...sleep is for the weak..
-----------------------------------------
"Dave Roth" wrote in message
news:401D3A79B206D432A280D2952E8645C6@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Current Workstation:
>
> Custom - home built
> AMD 2.2 XP / 333 FSB Ausus Mother Bd. (Going to up it to 2.8 soon)
>
> 1GB DDR Ram
>
> Nvidia GeForce 4 MMX 440 (64mb) (Looking at the Quadro 4 900XGL -
128mb)
>
> Win XP Pro (with all service packs)
>
> 320GB hard drive space in 4 ATA 133 Western Digital drives
>
> 19" flat screen Monitor
>
> Broadband Connection DSL (650 kb min. connection)
>
> Will add a 3D Space ball (looking for suggestions)
>
> Also considering a second monitor (17") for menus, etc... (if the card
will
> support it - have to check specs)
>
>
>
> New laptop (to be ordered soon): (will replace my 850Mhz Sony VIO)
> Alienware Area-51m
>
> Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz 533 FSB ./ Intel 845e+ich3m Mother Bd.
>
> 1GB DDR Ram
>
> 60GB ATA100 hard drive
>
> ATI Radeon 9000 (64 MB)
>
> 15" UXGA LCD monitor
>
> Any comments are welcome
>
>
>
> "Albert Allen" wrote in message
> news:93EFD3831273B41E18C2E7F24DE01415@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Learning Inventor is a snap but the system you install it on needs to
> quite
> > a bit more than the suggested minimum requirements, and as stated by
> Richard
> > the video card is very very important. You will love inventor as long as
> > your system is happy with it!
> >
> > Albert
>
>
*Roth, Dave
Message 13 of 16 (17 Views)

Re:

11-25-2002 06:08 AM in reply to: *Roth, Dave
Thanks, my reseller did say that the machine HAD to have Nvidia chipset,
since software was optimized for it.

I was gonna try and swap it out for an Nvidia 64mb GeForce card
also install Win XP Pro on it too....


"Sean Dotson" wrote in message
news:B579CC13D3FA52F4F7B3EA4EEA46F2E4@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> That's why I wanted you to post the laptop info. Don't get this laptop if
> all they offer is this ATI card.
>
> A list of those laptops that seem to run IV well (do a search for more
info)
>
> Dell M40 & M50
> Toshiba Satellite 5105 series
> Dell Inspiron 8000 & 8200 series
> IMB Thinkpad (I can never remember this model #) the guys at Autodesk use
> this one...
>
> probably a few others but not with the ATI Radeon 9000 (64 MB) card.
>
> --
> Sean Dotson, PE
> http://www.sdotson.com
*Caldwell, Larry
Message 14 of 16 (17 Views)

Re:

11-25-2002 08:09 AM in reply to: *Roth, Dave
Thankfully ... there's no command line, which makes it easy for some of us
that like to design: leaned back in chair, feet on desk, cat in lap, hand on
mouse, and, okay Charles, beer in free hand normally used to pet cat
(actually, a girl in free hand would be better).
~Larry

"AUGUST PANNING" wrote in message
news:f1273a0.3@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Get used to not having a command line, otherwise, the rest is easy.
>
>
*Hinterhoeller, Richard
Message 15 of 16 (17 Views)

Client looking at switching from ACAD 2000 (Vanilla) to Inventor6

11-25-2002 08:58 AM in reply to: *Roth, Dave
Really!

Modelling -
1/ I was pretty efficient in 3d ACAD. Just zapped the booleans together
like there's no tomorrow.
2/ My projects tend to be pretty clean sheet. A certain amount of time
is spent scratching my head about the next step and not even IV is doing
the thinking for me.

Perhaps if I count only the modelling portion and not the other time, I
save 50%.

Drawing -
AutoCAD - Create views, Soldraw to convert the 3d to 2d views. Adding
dimensions. Every time you want to zoom you have to switch to
paperspace, zoom, back to modelspace so that you don't end up with wacky
dimension sizes. By the time you go through all the motions, I'd spend
a week modelling and a week detailing.

IV - Create the views. Add dimensions with painless zooms. Update the
properties and I'm on to the next one. Now it's a week modelling and a
day detailing.

But then I'm fortunate to have clients who are task oriented. As long
as the drawings score straight 6.0's on technical merit, they don't fuss
about the artistic score.

Richard
*Dotson, Sean
Message 16 of 16 (17 Views)

Re:

11-25-2002 09:21 PM in reply to: *Roth, Dave
get the GeForce 440 Go or Quadro 4 550 Go GL chipset the GeForce 2 will be
a bit slow (but useable)



--
Sean Dotson, PE
http://www.sdotson.com
...sleep is for the weak..
-----------------------------------------
"Dave Roth" wrote in message
news:2D784545EF2248DEDCC949CE3B2944F5@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Thanks, my reseller did say that the machine HAD to have Nvidia chipset,
> since software was optimized for it.
>
> I was gonna try and swap it out for an Nvidia 64mb GeForce card
> also install Win XP Pro on it too....
>
>
> "Sean Dotson" wrote in message
> news:B579CC13D3FA52F4F7B3EA4EEA46F2E4@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > That's why I wanted you to post the laptop info. Don't get this laptop
if
> > all they offer is this ATI card.
> >
> > A list of those laptops that seem to run IV well (do a search for more
> info)
> >
> > Dell M40 & M50
> > Toshiba Satellite 5105 series
> > Dell Inspiron 8000 & 8200 series
> > IMB Thinkpad (I can never remember this model #) the guys at Autodesk
use
> > this one...
> >
> > probably a few others but not with the ATI Radeon 9000 (64 MB) card.
> >
> > --
> > Sean Dotson, PE
> > http://www.sdotson.com
>
>

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community


Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube