Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic menu in Inventor 2013

98 REPLIES 98
Message 1 of 99
timo.puska
3904 Views, 98 Replies

Classic menu in Inventor 2013

Hello,

is it possible to activate classic menu in Inventor 2013?

As in 2012 it can be done by editing registry.

-timo

98 REPLIES 98
Message 61 of 99
karthur1
in reply to: l.crisan

I'll be honest... when they first came out with the ribbon.. what 2010 or so... I hated it and swore that I would never like it.  But I forced myself to learn where everything was. It really didnt take that long to relearn it... probably in one day you will be productive with it.  Yes it takes a few more clicks sometimes, but it is laid out pretty well.  All of my users have also relearned it.  They grumbled about it some, but it is possible.

I would just suggest that you give it a try.  It is much easier to swim downstream.

Just and FYI, One thing that you will notice if you hack this back to the classic menu is the tabs along the bottom (when you have multiple docs open) will not be there.  That was one of the things that I really like about the ribbon.

I am also trying to learn the marking menu.  It is more challeging for me because there are so many different variations.  It varies depending on what you have selected when you bring up the menu as to what is there. I still struggle with the "Edit View" in the idw.

Message 62 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: karthur1

So what you are saying you like the ribbon because of a tab at the bottom....

Ctrl+Tab

Rather have my Classic back this ribbon has to go......

And it is not so much the learning but rather the extra clicks and all the other hud crap in my way.

Makes it much much slower to do anything click this check that click click check click.........UGH

My hand his hurting like when I used solid edge 10 clicks just to change the font...........

Message 63 of 99
schae235
in reply to: jletcher

I thought you didn't take the time to learn short-keys?

If you want a reason not to go to the ribbon: Why is the Content Center Editor on the "Tools tab" when there aren't any files open but when you have files open it is on the "Manage tab"?

I still like the ribbon better than classic (I am a new user and familiar with programs that run the Ribbon style). 

INV 2012 SP1
Windows 7 64 Bit
ATI FirePro V5800
14.0 GB RAM
Message 64 of 99
scottmoyse

I have to say I'm surprised you use 3D at all.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 65 of 99
cwhetten

@Anonymous wrote:

So what you are saying you like the ribbon because of a tab at the bottom....

Ctrl+Tab

@Anonymous wrote:
Don't like shortcut keys, don't like typing lol. No I have to many other things to remember than shortcuts.

So now you are using the existence of a handy keyboard shortcut as a reason not to like the new interface?  Before you said that keyboard shortcuts were evil (ok, so those weren't your exact words, but see above for the actual quote).

I think you are just determined to hate the UI no matter what is good about it.

Message 66 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: schae235

I thought you didn't take the time to learn short-keys?

Did not have to learn that it is the same in any program in the world from the windows 3.1 days.

If you want a reason not to go to the ribbon: Why is the Content Center Editor on the "Tools tab" when there aren't any files open but when you have files open it is on the "Manage tab"?

LOL Because Inventor has no more intelligence it went away when they gave you that dumb ribbon...

(I am a new user and familiar with programs that run the Ribbon style).

and slow ......      Have you even used the classic?

Message 67 of 99
karthur1

I'm saying that I was very skeptical about using the ribbon when it first cam out..... but I gave it a try and now I would not use the classic again unless I was forced to do so.

The tabs on the bottom is more productive for me than tabbing thru all the open docs.... thats wasted clicks... I mean keystrokes.

Message 68 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: scottmoyse

Heck son I was doing 3D before you was born............

Message 69 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: karthur1

The tabs on the bottom is more productive for me than tabbing thru all the open docs.... thats wasted clicks... I mean keystrokes.

no one said I use it often maybe once or twice a day..

Message 70 of 99
scottmoyse

Oh that's clever! Sounds like the software was extremely advanced for its time then. Maybe thats where your hatred of using a keyboard comes from, since that would have been before mice were used in the publc domain.

Tell me were you also condescending and close minded back then as well... old man? I'm done with this crud now, good luck keeping up with the wave of change ol fella!

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 71 of 99
dan_inv09
in reply to: cwhetten

I still haven't seen any statement of what is good about it other than

1. it's new

2. people who will get paid less than you will be less confused by it

Message 72 of 99
cwhetten
in reply to: dan_inv09

Well, like karther1, I think the tabs for all the open documents are great.  I use them ALL the time, and it's way better than clicking Window > Filename like the old way of doing it.  It's also better than using Ctrl+Tab to click through EVERY open document until you find the one you want.

This is specifically what I was referring to.  It's hard to argue that the old way is better than the new way with this feature.

I'm not a ribbon cheerleader, though.  I am still skeptical that the ribbon is more efficient than the classic.  I was just trying to point out to jletcher that SOME of it is good, even though he seems adamant to deny that any of it is good.

I see this argument as academic more than anything.  Since I have learned to use keyboard shorcuts to my advantage, I have gained way more efficiency than learning any new or old UI, so the changes in UI are annoyances rather than game-changers.

Message 73 of 99
SBix26

We can easily see that the ribbon interface is not going away any time soon.  So, do we really want Autodesk to spend limited resources on maintaining two complete user interfaces (updating both with new tools and workflows) rather than improving functions?

If you insist on using only the ribbon to access tools, it will get tedious and lots more clicking and large mouse movements.  But the marking menu, in-canvas tools, HUD, etc. are all there to avoid all that moving and clicking, and the keyboard shortcuts have been there all along.

Long and short, if you disagree with the direction the GUI is going to the point that you can't bear it, you'll have to find a different software package.  If you do, see if you can get a guarantee from the manufacturer that they'll never change their GUI.

Message 74 of 99
jletcher

Well if you look I never said anything about any change but the ribbon. The ribbon is all I think is no good. everything else is ok I don't care for the 2 dialogs that pop up I like the old way than mini things.

As far as the tabs at the bottom well I don't work on 20 things at the same time so I only have 1 or 2 things open at the same time so to me I realy don't need them Ctrl+Tab works fine.

The changing of tabs to get to a command is about the dumbest thing when before it was all right there.

Again just let me have the option to keep my Classic. Thats all I ask...

Classic 

Classic

Classic

Classic

Classic

Classic

Classic

Classic

Please give me my Classic

Message 75 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: SBix26

LOL I have been asking them for years to stop changing things and make the software stable. Why put in a new interface if you still have bugs? To me changing the interface is creating more bugs look at all the 2013 issues already.

And if I ran Autodesk I would put my head in the sand if I heard no one upgrades till a service pack comes out because of all the issues.

Autodesk you lost your way and did not leave bread crums............

Message 76 of 99
schae235

Mr. Anti-Change-

For starters yes I've used "classic" before.  One of the other engineers wanted me to use it for a few days back when I first started using the software. 

If everyone was against changes like you are, the human race would still be grunting and painting on cave walls. 

Even if your shortkey has been around since windows 3.1 you still needed to learn it at somepoint.  Or was it engrained into our DNA as a survival mechanism similar to a flight or fight response?  I'm not for or against the ribbon I just know it helped me learn the software.  Also stop being so **** hypocritical.

INV 2012 SP1
Windows 7 64 Bit
ATI FirePro V5800
14.0 GB RAM
Message 77 of 99
jletcher

Mr. Anti-Change-

LOL nice but wrong no one said I was against Change. 

Looks like you just want to bit into me what have I done to you?

Change is good as long as it makes things better this does not make it better.

So if you are going to start name calling like a two year old get it right..

Also stop being so **** hypocritical.

What Im I being hypocritical aboutI never said I never use shortcut keys I said I don't want to learn new ones. You have so much hate you don't even read you just start on me. If you don't like what I say then don't reply I am not talking to you because you are worthless to the subject.

Oh I use the shortcut key 3 times a year inside Inventor if Im lucky. Never needed them everything was where it should be. Unlike your ribbon. Thats why you need them because the ribbon has you all screwed up and can't find anything.

Message 78 of 99
schae235

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't like shortcut keys, don't like typing lol. No I have to many other things to remember than shortcuts.  I do have 3D mouse love it had it for a long long time would be lost without it.

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as the tabs at the bottom well I don't work on 20 things at the same time so I only have 1 or 2 things open at the same time so to me I realy don't need them Ctrl+Tab works fine.

@Anonymous wrote:

What Im I being hypocritical aboutI never said I never use shortcut keys I said I don't want to learn new ones.  

Jletcher-

I am sorry I mis read your post.  CLEARLY that post says "I don't want to learn new shortkeys"  and NOT what I thought.  I guess it also doesn't say you don't like typing and then later you say part of the ribbon UI isn't beneficial to you because you can just use a shortkey.   As for the name calling ...

@Anonymous wrote:

you don't matter you are a demo guy and we the users are telling you to keep classic and that is all that should matter to autodesk. Not some demo guy that don't have a clue....

@Anonymous wrote:

So if you are going to start name calling like a two year old get it right..

Do you agree you are being hypocritical now?

INV 2012 SP1
Windows 7 64 Bit
ATI FirePro V5800
14.0 GB RAM
Message 79 of 99
jletcher

jletcher wrote:

Don't like shortcut keys, don't like typing lol. No I have to many other things to remember than shortcuts.  I do have 3D mouse love it had it for a long long time would be lost without it.

jletcher wrote:

Does not say I don't use them..  Says I don't like them...Just don't want to learn new ones..

jletcher wrote:

you don't matter you are a demo guy and we the users are telling you to keep classic and that is all that should matter to autodesk. Not some demo guy that don't have a clue....

Does not call him a name tells you what he does..

Do you agree you are being hypocritical now?

Um no..

I think you just hate that I am right about this.........

Message 80 of 99
Ian4
in reply to: timo.puska

so there is no option to revert interface then ?

this ribbon is painful - takes much longer to use than classic.

very dissapointed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report