Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic menu in Inventor 2013

98 REPLIES 98
Message 1 of 99
timo.puska
3787 Views, 98 Replies

Classic menu in Inventor 2013

Hello,

is it possible to activate classic menu in Inventor 2013?

As in 2012 it can be done by editing registry.

-timo

98 REPLIES 98
Message 41 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: mflayler2

I have other things in marking menu so now what? every time I need it I have to customize that now and then undo it to have what I have now.

Yep again faster.....................NOT

just give me back my classic................

Message 42 of 99
mflayler2
in reply to: jletcher

That is why they added the context marking menu in 2013 for Shift and Right click options.  Enough users said they wanted it so they added it for more customization.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 43 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: dan_inv09

dan said:

If I had the classic interface I would have time to go on.

classic just classic Dan love it...

Message 44 of 99
jletcher

And why do you think they asked for it. You are going to make my point....

Don't know? so they don't have to click the darn tabs................

Proves to me they don't like the new interface.............. if they did they would not ask to have more options to get rid of the click click click click......

give me my classic...................

Message 45 of 99
scottmoyse

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice..... And do agree on the age thing. I love to learn new things as long as it don't cost me money and thats what the ribbon has done cost me money...

Very nice again...

Training/Learning always costs money! So you must never learn

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 46 of 99
mflayler2

No they asked for it for even less mouse travel and yes Ribbon Tab selection.  If you look at Inventor Publisher and Fusion you can see the resultant of having a more context driven menu system compared to a Ribbon or Classic UI.  Inventor just seems to be taking longer to get there than I would have hoped.

The classic doesn't stack up to the Marking Menu when you fully understand it and utilize the customization around it.  You talk about the commands at your finger tips...there you have them.  Which ones you want?  Customize away based on your command usage.

I don't even really need to go the Model Browser anymore unless I am replaying a part due to the onscreen tools for Edit Feature, Edit Sketch.

CIP data wasn't an option until more recently, before it just did it without you knowing.  Plenty of data gathered and if you turned it off you chose not to participate and add value.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 47 of 99
Dave_SSDD9000
in reply to: scottmoyse

*fixed*

Re-training/re-learning caused by unnecessary changes costs money.

Message 48 of 99
scottmoyse

The classic interface doesn't support the HUD, that is more efficient for common and basic tasks! Click on what you want to change then change it, your buttons are right there, in place. Sure it still needs to mature and it will, its already better than it was. The context/marking menu with gestures is there to support that, muscle memory is king if you take the time to let it happen. But it seems you can't spare the time to learn since it costs money.

Now I'm a fan of choice also, however, In short whether you believe it or not, the UI tools which have appeared along with the Ribbon ARE better and more efficient than the classic interface ever was. It was my understanding a lot of these new UI features were increasingly being forced onto Autodesk with the changes Microsoft was making to the programming environments. All OS manufactures impose a degree of UI standards onto the software providers, just look at how all the applications are integrated into the menu bar within OSx. Thats not to say Autodesk couldn't carry on and create their own standard. 

Again I will reiterate, I also believe in choice. But to a point, if maintaining that choice requires extra/too much overheadto support it by Autodesk, which will detract from or restrain further cutting edge development of our software tools then as far as I'm concerned then support for that choice needs to be cut for the greater good. If you open your eyes you will see thats the case here. The new UI tools (Context menu, HUD) which have appeared post the Ribbon are without doubt and unquestionably more efficient if you take the time to learn them!

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 49 of 99
scottmoyse

@mflayler2 wrote:

If you look at Inventor Publisher and Fusion you can see the resultant of having a more context driven menu system compared to a Ribbon or Classic UI.  Inventor just seems to be taking longer to get there than I would have hoped.

Thats the power of the ribbon! and yes they need to improve that further with Inventor, but more importantly they need to make the HUD more efficient, because an in place and contextual UI will always be faster then the Ribbon or Classic menus, even if it means 1 or 2 more clicks since you don't have to move your cursor to the top or side of the screen.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 50 of 99
scottmoyse
in reply to: Dave_SSDD9000

@Dave_SSDD9000 wrote:

*fixed*

Re-training/re-learning caused by unnecessary changes costs money.

Except they are necessary!

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 51 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: scottmoyse

I like the hud but if I had to lose the hud for my classic so be it. 

And like I said I would run circles around your ribbon.... (I know this for a fact)

Message 52 of 99
scottmoyse

@Anonymous wrote:

I like the hud but if I had to lose the hud for my classic so be it. 

And like I said I would run circles around your ribbon.... (I know this for a fact)

I think you will find Ribbon & HUD users are equally as certain (Fact)

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 53 of 99
schae235

@Anonymous wrote:

LOL no you will not get hurt. Yes you will with all the clicks you have to do now your click finger is going to hurt like heck. Tust me mine is killing me click click click click click UGH...............

@Anonymous wrote:

... Don't like shortcut keys, don't like typing lol. No I have to many other things to remember than shortcuts.  

All software will require some kind of user input.  If you don't like typing and you don't like clicking maybe you should try drafting tables and the tools that go along with? 

Seriously how much time have you wased complaining in the fourms? Probably more time than it would take to do two mouse clicks or the time it takes to learn a few shortkeys. 

I'm not trying to be a jerk/a$$ but change is a part of life.  If you want the "Classic UI" then don't upgrade, I don't see the point of a disagreement where someone's arguments are invalid because he is a "demo guy".  You should be trying to disprove the arguments because of logic not because they came from someone on the opposing side. 

INV 2012 SP1
Windows 7 64 Bit
ATI FirePro V5800
14.0 GB RAM
Message 54 of 99
scottmoyse
in reply to: schae235

Amen!

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 55 of 99
Millehuse

I am humbled by Mark's patience .. I would have snapped 10 posts ago.

Message 56 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: schae235

schae235 Wrote:

You should be trying to disprove the arguments because of logic not because they came from someone on the opposing side.

I did One click v.s. three click you tell me what is faster.......

And if you read I was one of those demo guys thats why I can say what I am saying plus 3 of my clients had his services and they faild to help. They could not get the client up and running. So at their last hopes they called me before changing to pro-e wild fire or solidworks. They are up and running and loving Inventor now. So for some one trying to tell me they know what a client needs are and failed to help tells me demo guy has no clue.

Sorry if I am rude but I just say whats on my mind.

And it don't matter like every one elsehas said leave the option there.

Not everyone uses inventor the same. But that is how his company looks at it. And I know this because I worked there and most of the calles I get tell me they and autodesk faild to help after paying them lots of cash. Now I am not saying they cannot help anyone but the three clients I have they could not help. I could go on but I will not I am done If he cannot see one click is faster than three and Autodesk cannot see this than so be it. I have the right to express my concerns with the way Inventor is moving forward and this is a cost concern with my clients. Most users are from Autocad some use keyboard some use icons and when a new user is tryinf to learn the classic view was much faster and easier for them to remember. Trying to remember what tab and what icon is hard for some. now the classic was smart the did not have to change tabs Inventor did it for you. So telling me they learn faster with the ribbon I disagree. I agree on the age thing the older do have harder time with it. But if you look those are the people you are trying to convert to Inventor and trust me in a demo showing a smooth flow v.s. this tab that tab back to this tab over t that tab scares them. When my client seen the new interface he frecked out and said well I guess I am done with Inventor it was hard enough to remember what each icon did.

So have fun with this one but you will never prove the ribbon is better. now the marking menu nice and I program, you cannot tell me they needed the ribbon to do the marking menu. And trying to tell me microsoft forces programers to put this new interface in I have to say no again.

You keep the ribbon I will find a way to make it into classic.....

Message 57 of 99
Paul-Mason
in reply to: Millehuse

I can appreciate BOTH sides of the argument but I don't see it as an argument of like or dislike it an argument for individual preferences

Scenario 1

A young engineer leave Uni he's been using the ribbon all his time goes into a new job with a copy who has not update from IV 2010 sits down at his workstation see the Classic interface and says what the */*$$$ I've never seen this!!!!

Scenario 2

A old experienced engineer moves to a new company he's been using the Classic interface all his time he goes into this  new job with a company who has updated all its IV seats to 2013 sits down at his workstation see the Ribbon  interface and says what the */*$$$ I've never seen this!!!!

In both case the users are present with something they've never come across before IF they were BOTH presented with the same option to change the interface, as in  2011, they could chose what ever interface to use and get on with the job from the get go, and may be if they were of the mind learn the other interface at there OWN pace.

Those fore the ribbon will pick scenario 1 as an argument for the ribbon where those against will use scenario 2 as an argument against the ribbon. Those who read the scenarios will seen the argument for users chose.

I've used both interfaces I don't favor one over the other, they BOTH get the job done. BUT I am of the opinion that we "THE USERS" should have that choice of what interface we want to use with out loss of functionality.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 58 of 99
ampster402

since they recently discovered a Mayan calendar that goes beyond 12/21/2012, I'll bookmark this thread and come back in a few years to see how things played out. 

But really, enough is enough.  Accept that software will change and that you can demand a specific UI in this forum, but are the people who needs to listen to your input actually paying any attention to this forum?

Too many people post here thinking Dr. Otto Descus actually reads this stuff when in fact it's for the Simpleton Modelers to post/read, not the coders or evil Dr. Otto Descus.

Good luck hanging onto something that's obviously on the way out.

Message 59 of 99
dick_upton
in reply to: ampster402

Petition, anyone?? Cat Tongue

What ampster said. bookmarked.

Message 60 of 99
l.crisan
in reply to: Paul-Mason

I'm totally agree with Paul. If Autodesk really cares about clients/users MUST leave the switch option on Application Option.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report