Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing thread format in a drawing file

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mechengineer987
1938 Views, 7 Replies

Changing thread format in a drawing file

Hey all,

I am attempting to change the thread format in inventor under the dimensions style editor, but it is grayed out and does not let me select anything from the drop down box.  I want to display the thread information so it includes the unit.  For example, this is what it shows now:  1/2 - 14 NPT.   I want to change it to 1/2" - 14 NPT.  Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to change the thread format in the dimension style editor?

By the way, I have a lot of drawings to do, so manually typing in 1/2" - 14 NPT will take sometime, so I am looking for a quick and easy fix.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dan_inv09
in reply to: mechengineer987

What version?

I had a similar question a few years ago. It seems that there is no way to control what displays for a pipe thread from within Inventor. (I'm only on 2010 so I don't know if that's changed. [Barring unforeseen problems 2012 will be installed on Monday])

The thread designation comes from the Custom Thread Designation column in the Thread.xls spreadsheet that controls all threads. (I'd suggest making a backup before trying to mess with it.) You can make that column say anything you want, but it will always show that. So if sometimes you don't want the " we'll have to explore other options.

(Perhaps multiple pipe thread types? NPT & NPT" - but each hole will only be what it was created as. We have two product lines with two different standards - we're starting to eliminate one but for now some drawings get fractions and some are all two place decimals, but a part created in either shouldn't ever get a hole called out in the other.)

Message 3 of 8
DesignerGuy1
in reply to: dan_inv09

One thing I have noticed (in 2010, at least) is that even when you change the spreadsheet, the old selection is persistent, so you have to go back in the model and select the new thread for every one you want to show the new thread designation.  Once you have done that, the old designation is lost to that model (until you revert back to the old spreadsheet (you did back it up, right?), and go in and change it again.

For example, I had a customer request that we show metric threads in format "M6 x P1" rather than the standard "M6x1" format.  Even after a changed the spreadsheet, the threads still showed up as "M6x1" until I went in, edited the holes, and selected the new format.  The old format was still there (saved with the part), until selected the new one.  Not exactly a "quick" fix, but it works.

Message 4 of 8
dan_inv09
in reply to: DesignerGuy1

D'oh, I forgot about that. That's another thing to worry about.

Message 5 of 8

@DesignerGuy1 wrote:

One thing I have noticed (in 2010, at least) is that even when you change the spreadsheet, the old selection is persistent ...

Hi DesignerGuy1 & dan_inv09,

Would I be corrrect in saying that the SDK tool called UpdateThreadDesignation would take care of this? I've not actually tried it, but I think this tool was created for that issue. But I might be misunderstanding.

Run the User Tools MSI file found at:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2010\SDK

Then you'll find this folder contianing the tool I mentioned:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2010\SDK\UserTools\UpdateThreadDesignation

Attached is the Read Me text file with a description of the UpdateThreadDesignation tool.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/

Message 6 of 8
dmraz
in reply to: mechengineer987

Thanks for the tip.

I went into my model and selected a different thread, then re-selected the correct thread.

The result was the updated thread callout from the spread sheet.

Thanks

Message 7 of 8

Curtis,

Since this thread was on the topic of threads, (ha ha) In IV 2011 in my thread xls, I created three new sheets and (buttress, & two for large diameter threads) and I just kept adding to them as needed.  Well about 45 days ago we started implementing IV2012 for daily needs, and now i am wondering about the best way to get my thread data transfered?  I have saved a copy of the default 2012 xls, but now I am wondering if I should just take a copy of my xls in 2011 and save to the 2012 directory.  Not sure how much has changed with the 2012 spreadsheet, looks to me like drill diameters for tapped holes, but that is also, company standards in my book. Any thoughts.

32 bit XP pro

IV 2011 & 2012 Ultimate

2016 Inventor
W7 - 64 bit
i7 2.6ghz
16g Ram - 3000M
Design Consultant
Message 8 of 8
dan_inv09
in reply to: hansome_one

Several versions ago they added some functionality that required certain data in cell a1 of each sheet (or something) and when everybody copied over their old modified spreadsheets their threads stopped working (and the forum blew up, figuratively).

If threads stop working, look at the new one and see if you can tell what changed, but it looks like the same file should be fine for now.

(As far as drill diameters for taps, I wouldn't trust AutoDesk. Heck, I never put those on drawings anyway - I wouldn't want to cause a broken tool because I put .3594 on the drawing when the manufacturer of a particular tap wanted them to use a .3580 dia drill bit.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report