Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing part type from normal to purchased part like bearings, bolts?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
mucip
1840 Views, 9 Replies

Changing part type from normal to purchased part like bearings, bolts?

Hi,

Some times we use standart parts which we could not find in content center. We creat part ourselves. But it looks like standart part in BOM or part explorer window...

I want to chage type of part to PURCHASED type and icon like other purchased parts like bearings or bolts...

Is this possible?...

It can be also assembly parts like bearings. Bearings have many parts but it looks only one part in part explorer. This is very good. I want same thing too...

Regards,

Mucip:)

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jletcher
in reply to: mucip

If you are asking if you can change the icon in the browser no there is not a way.

Now if you just want to change it from normal to purchased open part go to document settings, bill of material tab and you can change it from normal to purchased.

Message 3 of 10
swhite

In your assembly just open the BOM. under the BOM structure column if you double-click in the part you want to change it will open a drop down menu which gives you several choices including purchased. Part must be checked out if you are using vault.

Capture.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 4 of 10
jletcher
in reply to: swhite

Issue with that is if he reuses the part they have to do that method all the time if he does it in the document he will never have to change it again..

Message 5 of 10

wrote:

Issue with that is if he reuses the part they have to do that method all the time if he does it in the document he will never have to change it again..

Hi jletcher,

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think the results of the Document Settings method and the change via the BOM method are the same. I just want to clarify this for mucip, so we don't create confusion.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 10

Yes you are correct but I also had issues with it staying when I did it that way. So I now always do it in doc settings..

And because of the issue I always teach the method that has no issues Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 10
swhite
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Yes, the BOM saves back to part level, although I can't remember how just now, havn't used it in awhile, there is a way to make assemblies and so-forth phantom, reference, etc just for one particular assembly. I know that needs to be done at the document level. I'll see if I can't refigure that out just for future reference.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 8 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: swhite

@SWhite wrote:

I'll see if I can't refigure that out just for future reference.

Hi swhite,

Changing a component's default BOM structure using the BOM pulldown and changing it in the Document Settings will give the same results for any of the BOM structure types (Normal, Reference, Phantom, Purchased, Inseparable). The change is imediate, but takes a Save of the component to ensure the change is permenent. I think users often make the change in the BOM and then somehow don't get the change saved.

To change an instance of a component to Reference in an assembly, you can right-click on a particular instance of the component in the assembly and choose BOM Structure > Reference. This will set just that instance to be Reference. I'm not aware of a way to do this for any of the other BOM structures other than Reference.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 9 of 10
mucip
in reply to: jletcher

Hi,

First of all thanks a lot for your very valuable and fast answers...

Yes, this is what I want but icon is still like a part icon. Normally it should be like bearing icon, souldn't it?...

By the way despite of bearing has many parts, it looks as only one part and you can not unassemle it... Is this possible?.

Incase of do this I use "derive part" but it's little bit long way and icon is still like part icon not purchased part icon?!...

Regards,

Mucip:)

Message 10 of 10
swhite

I beleiev you are stuck with that icon since it is not a content center part. I am unsure if the icon would update to reflect this if placed in the content center library with the proper entries made. Someone with more experience with content center libraries may be able to answer that question.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report