Inventor General

Message 1 of 3 (830 Views)
Accepted Solution

Changing multiple face colors

830 Views, 2 Replies
10-01-2012 06:22 AM

Hi folks,

I'm working with Autodesk Inventor 2009.

I have several parts colored in gray, black and red.

• The grey color is the basic part color/material.
  • The black color is feature color styles.
  • The red color is face color styles.

I need to change all the face color styles (red) to the original part color/material (gray/default). I can do this by right-clicking on a surface > properties > face properties.

My problem is that I have a lot of surfaces (mostly due to fillets). I can choose multiple ones wth ctrl + click, but even that would take forever.

Is there an easier way to change all the face colors at once?

Best regards

A. Heiselberg

Employee
Message 2 of 3 (797 Views)

Re: Changing multiple face colors

10-01-2012 03:42 PM in reply to: aheiselberg

Hi! If you were on R2010, it would be fairly simple to do. Just right-click on the solid body node in the browser -> Properties -> Strip color overrides. However, you are on R2009.

On top of my head, there are three ways to do this without actually selecting the faces manually.

Option1: You can simply rename the document color style from Red to something else. Then change the color to be like gray.

Option2: You can find a planar face or any face on the part. Create a zero-offset surface on the face. Then use Delete Face command to delete the selected face. Next, create another zero-offset surface using Qulit option. Use Delete Face command to remove the original quilt. Lastly, use Sculpt or Stitch to turn them into a solid again. This workflow is a bit confusing. Please see attached part for more information.

Option3: If you are familiar with VBA, you might be able to create a small program marching over the faces and resetting the face color to something else.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3 (777 Views)

Re: Changing multiple face colors

10-02-2012 12:14 AM in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for your help. I managed to get it done in a way similar to your 1st solution.

Thanks again!

BR

A. Heiselberg

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube