Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change draing references

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
748 Views, 3 Replies

Change draing references

Hi,

Is there a propper way to relink an idw to a different part or assembly file? ie without changing filenames in windows explorer.

the issue i'm having is that i quite often create parts and drawings that are similar, instead of creating a new drawing each time, i save a copy of the drawing, change the name of the referenced part / assembly in windows explorer, then relink the drawing to the new part / assembly and save, i then have to go back and change the filename back to the original so that the first drawing will open. this is a long winded work around for an option that, in my opinion, should be included in the software.

there are lots of posts about this and yet still not included, other packages allow you to do this (solidworks), so why not autodesk??

does anyone know if this option is included in inventor 2012 or will be added to later releases?

Note: I know that it is possible to do this within design assistant, but would prefer to have an option within inventor file open dialogue.

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Doug_DuPont
in reply to: Anonymous

After you have made your drawing copy open the new
Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 3 of 4
Doug_DuPont
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Sorry the first post got messed up.

After making your new drawing copy open that new drawing and go to the manage tab. Select the Replace model Reference. That wil open a dialog, select the filename and then select the folder incon to the right. Select your part or ****'y that you want to reference in your new drawing.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Thanks. That's exactlyt what i was looking for, should save me loads of time and hassle

Regards

Will

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report