Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change dimensions, Inventor 2014

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
t.gerhardsen
1439 Views, 16 Replies

Change dimensions, Inventor 2014

I`m working on an espresso can and I want to make a mini version of a can I`ve already made. What I want is this part (attachment) to be 15 mm shorter in height without any adjustments to the rest of the part. If someone could be cind and take a look and maybe come with a solution. That would be great!

I`m using the 2014 version of Inventor.

Thanks in advance!

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
t.gerhardsen
in reply to: t.gerhardsen

I forgot to mention that its just the upper part of the can that I want 15 mm shorter in height. - Not the extruded circle at the bottom.
Message 3 of 17
blair

I didn't look at the file, but I would install the SDK tools and use the Derive and scale in specific direction.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 17
t.gerhardsen
in reply to: blair

Thanks for the reply. I`m not that skilled within Inventor- I did some research on scaling but I I dont know if I could only shorten the height and not the whole part if you know what I mean.
Message 5 of 17
blair

Nix, that. Part of the problem is your side mount lugs, you dimension to the bottom of the threaded ring. If you build this model with these items dimensioned to the top, as you changed the height of your Work Plane2, then these items would adjust to your model. As now, as you change the work-plane offset, you loose these items.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 17
mrattray

I don't have 2014 open, but could you use move face (assuming you can't just edit a feature)?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 17
mcgyvr

This is a "just do it" thing.. There is no "magic"..

Do you just want to shorten "loft 1".. If so just double click on work plane 3 and change the offset..

But of course that does break some other features/sketches so you just need to edit/fix those..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 17
t.gerhardsen
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for helping. I tried to shorten the loft but I get this error;
Kanne_o_Mini.ipt: Errors occurred during update
Extrusion4: Could not build this Extrusion
The attempted operation did not terminate the Toolbody completely by the specified termination plane and/or part. Change the termination definition or the feature (profile) position.
Sketch20: Could not build this Sketch
Coincident constraint to reference geometry that could not be resolved. Use Edit Sketch to delete the reference geometry and rebuild the constraint.
Dimension to reference geometry that could not be resolved. Use Edit Sketch to delete the reference geometry and rebuild the dimension.
Coincident constraint to reference geometry that could not be resolved. Use Edit Sketch to delete the reference geometry and rebuild the constraint.
Perpendicular constraint to reference geometry that could not be resolved. Use Edit Sketch to delete the reference geometry and rebuild the constraint.
Sketch19: Could not build this Sketch
Dimension to reference geometry that could not be resolved. Use Edit Sketch to delete the reference geometry and rebuild the dimension.
Perpendicular constraint to reference geometry that could not be resolved. Use Edit Sketch to delete the reference geometry and rebuild the constraint.
Hole5: Could not build this Hole
Hole6: Could not build this Hole

😕
Message 9 of 17
t.gerhardsen
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks for helping. I tried but with no luck:-/
Message 10 of 17
t.gerhardsen

ok. I`m not sure if I understand what you mean
Message 11 of 17
blair

You have dimensioned items such as the mount lugs for the handle from the base of the unit. So when you change the Offset of the Work-Plane, Inventor is no longer able to re-create these features because you are terminating them on the surface.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 17
t.gerhardsen

ok. Maybe the easiest way to achieve what I want is to start all over again. Thanks for the help!
Message 13 of 17
JDMather

You have an M70 internal thread where the OD is only 68mm.  How will that work?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 14 of 17
t.gerhardsen
in reply to: JDMather

Im working on resizing the whole can so I havent had the time to fix that yet:)
Message 15 of 17
mcgyvr

3d models can only be as "smart" as the person who created them.. There are MANY times when designing products that you know what "might" change in the future and plan for it.. There are times when you can dimension features to other features.. Then there are times when dimensioning to the origin axis/work planes might be the best solution..Then there are times that you "should" have done it the other way but didn't and now you need to be comfortable enough with the program to be able to fix all the problems/issues that might pop up from changing something..

"errors" that come up don't mean you just have to start all over.. You just need to go and fix the issues..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 16 of 17
JDMather

As you remodel this from scratch - think about how you might need to change the geometry.

With a little planning you should be able to create a robust model that is easy to change the dimensions.

I always consider my first attempt to just be a trial in understanding the geometry. 

Many of the "solutions" I attach here I have modeled from scratch 3 or 4 times before I post here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 17 of 17
t.gerhardsen
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the help everybody!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report