Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chamfer to a curved edge

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dcmorgan
4360 Views, 7 Replies

Chamfer to a curved edge

Hello All,

In Autodesk Inventor 2013. I have a simple cylinder extrusion with a rectangle attached to the cylinder. Drawing file attached(extrusion 1). Whenever I apply a chamfer to one of the straight edges, Inventor generates negative taper on the cylinder wall (if you zoom in with a window, you can clearly see that their are two lines on the cylinder wall where the chamfer edges was applied).

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? This gives me all sorts of problem in my CAM software because the tool is trying to machine in an area it cannot get to.

As a work around I have to create a new part file with a small gap between the cylinder and the chamfered edges. This keeps the cylinder edges nice and straight with no taper. The work around is attached as well. Since the tool can't go that far into the corner given the radius of the tool, the gap has no affect on me generating code. I have tried many different ways on creating this part with chamfers with no luck. Once the chamfer is generated, it should match the profile of the cylinder. This is absurd.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rdyson
in reply to: dcmorgan

CAn you post a screen grab of the problem. I'm not seeing it.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 8
dcmorgan
in reply to: rdyson

Set your view to wireframe and zoom in or scroll in to where the cylinder and chamfered edge meets. You can see it clear as day.

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

@dcmorgan wrote:

You can see it clear as day.

I don't see it.  Furthermore I don't understand how the "workaround" solves the "problem".

Can you attach screen shot of what you are seeing?

OK, I finally found it.  You could have included the information to look at it from Front view.

Edit:  well now I'm not sure I'm seeing anything other than a graphics artifact.

Front.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
rdyson

In wireframe, show me where the taper starts. If the entire surface tapers, why is the intersection of the retangle and cylinder 90° to the base?

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 8
rhasell
in reply to: rdyson

I would normally palm it off to graphics, but since your CAM software complains, try the following.

Edit Extrusion9 and set it to a new solid.

It appears to graphically solve the issue, but I am not sure what your CAM software will do?

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 7 of 8
dcmorgan
in reply to: rhasell

ok thanks, I will try that

Message 8 of 8
swhite

You might try modeling it as a multipart model, do your chamfers on the appropriate solid and then combine the two solids when done. Could not open yours, am using 2011, but you should be able to open my sample if you are running a later version.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report