Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Center of Gravity of Surface models or Mesh Features

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jonselzer
1991 Views, 7 Replies

Center of Gravity of Surface models or Mesh Features

Ok received parts from a customer.  It was ALL mesh features.

I converted some of them(the mesh features) to Solids.  Some would not convert to solids (converted to surfaces).

I need to have the COG show up correctly.  Yes, I have a physical COG.  I know where it is supposed to be.

I am trying to use this and several other parts (with mixed, Solids, Surfaces, Mesh features), in an assembly AND balance it all thru a common lift point.

How can I correct the COG of the individual parts, so that the assembly is correct.

I have work planes for the corrected COGs, but I am afraid that I will need to calculate the new COG for the assebmly.

Anyone with good ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
swhite
in reply to: jonselzer

Have you tried extruding or thickening the mesh surfaces to create a solid?

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
jonselzer
in reply to: swhite

If you were to convert all of the solids that you can on these files.  They end up with hundreds of solids and a dozens of surfaces, creating files that are too large to handle (>120MB per file).  This is why there is a mix of solids, surfaces and meshes.

Message 4 of 8
blair

I guess if you know what the Mass is and where the COG is suppose to be, just manually enter the values in the iProperties-Physical tab for the Mass and XZY location.

I would test it with a simple model before passing it off to the shop/field just to verify when using Over-ride values.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 8
jonselzer
in reply to: blair

You can only update the mass. This does not effect the COG. I would love to be able to modify the COG, but no dice.
Message 6 of 8
blair

It might be accessable via iLogic.

Or create a new IAM for each Mesh/surface part and place a IPT with the correct mass at the CG point you have determined as correct.

It would mean having to create a new IAM to get your total mass and correct COG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 8
jonselzer
in reply to: blair

From iLogic you can read the COG.  However, you cannot change it thru iLogic.  It may be possible with VBA.  I posted that question to the Inventor Customization site, we will see what is doable.

Message 8 of 8
mrattray

There's very few things that you can do with the API that can't be done through the UI. Pretty much the only thing I'm aware of is creating additional property sets and working with entity attributes.
I checked in the API's object browser and a part's physical properties object (which includes its CoG) is marked as read-only, so you wont be able to change it by any method.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report