Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catia to Inventor

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
phil.ramsdale
3649 Views, 3 Replies

Catia to Inventor

Hello 🙂 I've been sent a model that was orignally drawn CATIA v5 and I want to play around with it in my inventor. However when opening the CATIA file the model is essentially "dumb" with no dimensions. Is there a way to transfer it keeping all the dimensions etc?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sam_m
in reply to: phil.ramsdale

I don't know for sure, as I've not tried Catia -> Inventor, but I highly doubt it.

All the sketches, dimensions and features used by Catia to create the part will be completely different commands and results in Inventor, therefore I can't imagine being able to import the data while preserving an Inventor-editable feature tree (I may be wrong, but when you think about it, I doubt it).

even if both programs had the same "command" the maths behind that command could be wildly different and thus the results could well be very different - suddenly making any import other than a dumb-solid potentially unsafe and unreliable...

You could try to reverse-engineer the file with the feature generator, but the more complex the part the more unlikely you'll get the full data-set (and if it's not a complicated part then it would be easier, quicker and safer to just re-draw it).

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 4
JDMather

Download Feature Recognition add-in from here http://labs.autodesk.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 4
Cadmanto

Phil,

The short answer is "No".  Unless things have changed.  Smiley Happy

My experience has been whether you are going from Solidworks to Pro-E, Pro-E to Solidworks, Inventor to Solidworks, Solidworks to Inventor or Catia to Inventor, the dimensions and contraints never come along for the ride.  They are a step above a dumb solid which has no features.  Just geometry.  Now, what you might be experiencing which I have with the scenarios I layed out above, is the sketches that might be there.  If that is the case then you can just dimension them as is and they should be the correct values.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report