Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Case of the Ignored Face

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Student92
795 Views, 17 Replies

Case of the Ignored Face

"Relationship Was Placed with Respect to Geometry That is No Longer Available"

trouble1.jpg

trouble2.jpg

This is the error I get with two parts when trying to constrain in an assembly. It's as if Inventor doesn't believe the face exists (as seen in yellow on the top picture) after selecting it. 

Part1 has been extruded as a solid between two planes. There are no errors within the part. You can constrain everything to any part of Part1 aside from that one face. It's doesn't matter if it's mate, flush, angle, tangent, etc. The same error will come up. I can't project a plane from the face. Nearby faces can be constrained easily. I can place a flush mate between Part1 and another part on a connected face. I can add a tangent constraint with the same part to a nearby face on Part 1.  I can see the face, there's no gaping holes. I can select it. I just can't do anything with it. 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mdavis22569
in reply to: Student92

can you post the assembly ... is this just in this assembly or all the time ?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 18
Cadmanto

Is this by any chance a frame generator assembly?  In trying to follow what you have outlined,

was this a constraint that existed before and all of a sudden now doesn't work anymore?  If this is the case, what was done just prior to give this condition?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 18
Student92
in reply to: mdavis22569

It's only in this specific assembly and only with this specific part and only the one face.
Message 5 of 18
Student92
in reply to: Cadmanto

No, I'm not using frame generator. It's just Place or Place at component origin. Inventor won't let me constrain to the face at all, so it hasn't been done before. It certainly would make more sense with that error.
Message 6 of 18
Cadmanto

Are any of these components grounded?

Can you post this assembly for us to take a look at?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 18
LT.Rusty

Are any of the parts adaptive?  i.e., by constraining something, will you move part A in such a way that the geometry in part B would no longer exist?

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 18
Student92
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I've tested the parts in the assembly without the problem part and they're fine and not adaptive. It doesn't seem to matter if it's grounded or not. I've moved the EOP up to the initial extrusion of the part and the face returns, so there's most likely a subsequent operation that is tripping it up.

Thank you for the questions and tips, they're definitely helping in the elimination process.
Message 9 of 18
Student92

trouble4.jpg

I've narrowed it down to this. The image on the right is how the face should be after a Cut Extrude operation.

For some unfortunate reason it looks like my sketch may be off by enough to separate it into multiple faces. That ain't right.

Message 10 of 18
LT.Rusty

... did you constrain your sketches fully?  🙂

Rusty

EESignature

Message 11 of 18
Cadmanto

You eluded to the fact that the order in the browser may play into this issue.

In reading through what you have said and the responses, if you place a component and only partially constrain it.  Then constrain other items to it, I can see the further you get down the component list, it could cycle back like this and cause issues.

Another question you stated that if this component is removed, the assembly is fine.  How did you remove the component?  Just flat out deleted it?  Or did you suppress it.

If you deleted it, could you just reinsert it?  Would this resolve the issue?

Now I notice that you have some feature issues.  Were these festures created midstream while this part was already inserted into the assembly and these changes caused this mess?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 18
Student92
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Yes, there's no notifications in the bottom right corner and I can't move anything around. The sketches are the right colour.
Message 13 of 18
Student92

If only it were that simple. It's not the part, it's the face. Everything else is perfectly able to be constrained. The extrude operation on it seems to be slicing it up into Inventor thinking it's non-existent geometry.
Message 14 of 18
Cadmanto

Well, if it is the face on this part, then it has to be this part.

You have been asked many times to post your assembly and parts.

Are you not able to do this?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 15 of 18
Student92

No, I'm not able to due to work restrictions. Hate that, but unfortunately no one is able to answer my questions at work about this. I'm trying to solve this so that I don't run into it again in future projects, but seeing as this more just self-training, I doubt they'd allow me to compromise information. It's risky as it is. Hence the screenshots.
Message 16 of 18
JDMather

Can you create a new simplified part ignoring all other features with just the features that lead to these split faces?

Reproducing unexpected behavior in a new part often gives clues to a solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 17 of 18
Cadmanto

Two posts ago I asked a bunch of questions and made some assessments to which you have not responded to.

I would like see you address those. Also, since you cannot post your models, can you recreate this somehow in a mock up assembly and post that?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 18 of 18
Student92

Removing and inserting don't change it. Yes, it's simply that one part that's causing a problem. New assemblies, different parts, deleting or suppressing doesn't work as it's only once face that it has an issue with which is, as I'm finding, going back to a specific part.

I've just tried making a new part that looks the same in the problem area and it works just fine. The problem has been narrowed down to that it makes separate faces when I use a Distance cut versus Through All. There's no reason that it should treat things differently that way, but with this specific part it does. Now that I've changed the Extrude Cut to Through All, Inventor allows the constraint and does not bring up the error.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report