Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Careers Using Inventor, Please Help Me Decide!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
victorc777
1998 Views, 10 Replies

Careers Using Inventor, Please Help Me Decide!

I am about to be sent home from the Army much sooner than anticipated because of a back problem.  I though I had some time but I unfortunately do not.  I really enjoy creating things on Inventor and have been using it for over a year now, learning on my own.  I believe it is near impossible to get a job using Inventor without some type of certification or degree, so I want to know if a certification from IMAGINiT would help me out tremendously?  I do not want an engineering degree, so 4 years in college is not going to happen.  I in fact wish to start my own business, which is in fact in motion now but it will not support me now or the near future. 

So, if anyone can shed some light on my situation and whether a certification is useful without a degree or not.  Thank you very much!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: victorc777

@victorc777 wrote:
 I do not want an engineering degree, so 4 years in college is not going to happen. 

I recommend that you reconsider this decision and take full advantage of whatever educational benefits your service to country entitles you to.

There are theory-oriented Engineering programs and there are application-oriented Engineering Technology programs.

2-yr and 4-yr

Full disclosure, I am in the EDU business.

http://www.pct.edu/schools/icet/cad/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
victorc777
in reply to: JDMather

Hello,

Thank you for your recommendation, but I do not have time to get a degree in the next 5 months.  As I said, I will be nurturing a startup business of mine that is not so profitable yet but I do want to work in the CAD field as soon as I can.  I primarily want the experience in CAD and of course the certification helps.  Given the time I may start some classes if they will suit my business needs but until then I just want to know if there is hope for a Certified Inventor Associate/Pro without a degree?  I have 6 years of mechanical experience with cranes and helicopters and though I know it is a different world (hands on vs. virtual) but I was hoping it would help just to get me in the door.  Please, I am aware that a degree is a HUGE help, but it isn't possible on my timeline.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 11
mrattray

A certificate is better than nothing, but I'm with JD. I chose the short route; I only went for an associates in drafting and I very much regret not going for a four year engineering degree when I had the chance. Now it's almost impossible for me to return to school.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 11
victorc777

Once again, I really appreciate the help, I really do!  I will not entertain the idea of going back to college for this.  I do not settle for one field, I am one of those that must always learn new and different things all the time.  This is not an excuse, this is who I am and it took me a decade to figure it out.  I will one day be a successful entrepreneur in the field that excites me at that time in my life.  I want to change the world with every new business venture.  I just need work in the field that my mind works best at, which is mechanical 3D modeling.  Thank you once again.  I guess there is no way of knowing if I will find employment with an Inventor proficiency certificate? 

Message 6 of 11
mrattray

Well, it depends on your region, too. It took me 2 solid years of desperate job searching to find work in Michigan with a degree and experience. Although things have improved since then (that was 2 years ago), there's certainly no guarantees.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 11
JDMather

Find everything you can on using Inventor.  (ask questions here)

Reverse engineer some stuff. (ask questions here)

Create some original work.  (ask questions here)

Put together an ePortfolio of your work. (Wix is one site.)

Complete the Inventor Certified Associate exam.

Answer questions here.

Complete the Inventor Professional exam.  (I learned most of what I know to complete those exams right here, not in a class.)

Answer questions here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 11
gsmith9810

Typically, other CAD products have a larger installed base than Inventor, so the fact that you have Inventor skills potentially makes you a desired commodity. The company that I'm with uses contractor partners extensively. You might want to do a local search (assuming that you are geographically anchored) to see who uses Inventor in the area. You might reach out to the local Inventors User Group and/or the local reseller to find out who in the area is using Inventor.

To be honest, I don't know that having a "certificate" is going to tip the scale in your favor or not - you either know the tool and understand the problems being attacked by a prospective employer (and you click with the engineering/hiring manager) or you don't.

Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 9 of 11
riff62

All good advice..I would learn the software, create some things as JD suggested, and keep looking..A degree is not really needed, although alot of places want you to have at least an AS in drafting, or for larger companies, typically a BS in Mechanical. Not all though..As an example:
I am a highschool dropout, (10th grade - I knew it all back then..lol) and when I started using Inventor 13 years ago I think, I had the 5 day fundamentals course which helped me alot. After that, I was self taught. I worked in Biotech at the time, and was able to do some pretty interesting projects. I have since moved on, and now design particle accelerator parts and systems. I still do not have a degree, and technically dont need one for my current position, but I am working on a BS in Mechanical, just because I want to. I am in line to take over as Technical Director of our Lab and will be responsible for the work of 80 or so Inventor users. Granted I will probably never get rich here, and there are positions that pay significantly more out there, but its not bad here. The work is interesting,and challenging intellectually, so I am always learning..Challenge yourself every day..It isnt always about money.

Message 10 of 11
jbennett_pc

As some have said, you don't NEED a degree to be a Inventor designer.  Really all a degree says is that you have a certain amount of training in the use of CAD programs and various design concepts and methodologies.  It acts as proof in place of providing tested proficiency as a CAD designer from experience or portfolios (of course, both of these also enhance presenting just a degree).  If you can prove you can use the program effectively and can function well as a designer in the environment you're looking to work in, then you can probably find work.

Your best bet for a QUICK shot at employment is to learn as much as you can about Inventor and designing in general.  Create design projects that you can present as a portfolio.  Know what your potential employer is working on and skew your design concepts towards what they regularly work on.  Know the challenges they face and what you can come up with as solutions as one of their designers.  Do your best to sell that it will benefit them to hire you.

Whether or not you can find employment, you should definitely consider going to school for a degree.  Even if it means night school at a community college (which is how I got my degree).  You'll get access to their resources for classes, financial aid, internships (if you need employment), and bottomline is that a degree looks much better on your resume.  It'll also help you out in going for better paying opportunities in the future even if it shows you have an ongoing desire to better yourself and your craft.

Message 11 of 11
graemev

Contact your local reseller for some training classes.  They're a good, short term solution for improving knowledge and technique.

Next, get Inventor certification to as high a level as you can.  Some employers will be looking for someone who can effectively run the software, but with practical (in field/hands-on) knowledge - which you already have.  Not everyone is looking for a degreed employee, and a degree is no guarantee of either practical knowledge or CAD competence.

As others have mentioned, develop a portfolio.  It doesn't have to be of complex systems, nor even loaded with examples, but a variety of skills on display (for however few or many examples you show) will be certain to sell your abilities.

P.S.  Don't forget that Armed Forces training gives you self- and job-discipline that many others don't have.  Good luck, both with your career and your back.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report