Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot extend member

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anthony
589 Views, 10 Replies

Cannot extend member

I need to close a gap between one frame member and another, I have tried using the trim / extend function however this does not work. The members are 25x25x3 SHS, please see attached screen shot which shows the issue. Thank you.

Inventor 2013 SP2

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013

64-bit HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz

12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anthony

Anthony,

Are you using frame generator?  Are you saying that you cannot change the length of the member and trim it?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
Anthony
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi, I am not using frame generator, the members are added from the content centre and constrained in place, I am able to change the size of the members placed through content centre.

Message 4 of 11
Cadmanto

Have you tried making the member a little longer so it extends past the cross member then using this trim tool, or any of the other frame tools?

frame.PNG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 11
cbenner

@Cadmanto wrote:

Have you tried making the member a little longer so it extends past the cross member then using this trim tool, or any of the other frame tools?

Scott, will the frame tools work on members placed NOT using Frame Generator?

Message 6 of 11
Anthony
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks for the replies, as pointed out the frame tools do not seem to work on members not placed with FG, as I have placed these directly from CC, bit of a shame, is there another way to use trim, extend etc. on these parts ?

Message 7 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

I guess that's what happens when you assume.  It made sense to me that they would work.

The good news is it gave me the makings for an idea.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Frame-Tools-Should-work-outside-of-Frame-Generato...

Sorry, Anthony.  The only suggestion I can make at this point is if you can use the FG then do it.  Then you will be able to use the frame tools.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 11
Anthony

Thanks for the advice, real shame the tools aren't available outside of FG but great to see your post requesting this functionality. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
Cadmanto

No problem.  Wish I could offer something better.

Like I said earlier I assumed the frame tools worked for your application as well.  Kind of limiting if you ask me that they only work with FG.

Hopefully the idea will get enough votes to grab their attention.  Smiley Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 11
cbenner
Message 11 of 11
BLHDrafting

Lengthen the member the amount you need to make it touch the rail, then add a chamfer to make it look like it is 'trimmed' to the rail.

In the long run using Frame Generator is youyr best bet.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report