Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete off Recently Used list ??

42 REPLIES 42
SOLVED
Message 1 of 43
FrontlineFusionLtd
14989 Views, 42 Replies

Cannot delete off Recently Used list ??

hi,

I have inventor 2015 and i cannot get rid of anything  of the recently used window. Its cluttered with frame generator components and a file that i tried to delete to get rid of, and now it sits as an empty file but its still there too.

how do i remedy this?

42 REPLIES 42
Message 2 of 43

The only way you can remove those entires is to edit the registry. Recently opened files are stored under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion19.0\Recent File List

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 43
-niels-
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Chris, is that for the new Home screen's recent file list or the recent file list under the "I" button?
(or are they the same? the Home screen shows a longer list, so i'm not entirely sure.)

Oh, and why is the list different than the one windows shows in it's start menu flyout?

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 43
-niels-
in reply to: -niels-

Message 5 of 43
mcgyvr
in reply to: -niels-

I don't get it?

Don't they just move off the list as you open more files? 

Doesn't the "recent documents" under the big "I" function the same? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 43
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: mcgyvr

Both MyHome & the list under the "I" use the same registry values. However, the "I" list only shows the last 20 items or so, whereas MyHome will show up to 500 I believe.

So yes, they will eventually disappear, but if you want to manually remove them editing the registry is the only option.

Something we're working to improve...

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 43
mcgyvr

oh geesh.. 500 or so..

No wonder..

Glad I turned that myHome view off. 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 43

chris I dont know how to do what your message suggests.  Also i dont understand why anyone would want all that clutter when open file has been around for years and still is.  My home page is also showing individual structural components.  What is the reason for this, and why is it default?

Can i delete the file that is the Recently Used list?

Message 9 of 43
blair
in reply to: FrontlineFusionLtd

Try this:

Capture1.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 43
mb
Explorer

Hi Chris

Has anything been patched with regard to this as it is very annoying.

I have used Inventor for quite some years now and this has to be first time I have complained.

Regards

Mark

Mark Bougourd

Production Development Engineer

Message 11 of 43
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: mb

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately this is not going to change for the 2015 release. The only way to clean the list up is as mentioned in the solution below, ie to delete the recent list items from the registry. It is being addressed for a "future annual" release though.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 43
ian
Enthusiast
in reply to: FrontlineFusionLtd

I tried this and it didnt work, some files in the registry I couldnt delete and they still appear in the recently used file list, not sure what i'm doing wrong

Message 13 of 43
cad-admin

I'm sorry, but I find this very close to unacceptable. It shouldn't be hard to at the very least add a purge button that empties the registry directory but ideally it shouldn't list every frikkin' part that tangentially gets opened, but only the files which you actually manually select. It's utterly useless with its current implementation. The list below is the result of opening a step file assembly.

rfl_small.png

Message 14 of 43
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: cad-admin

Bert,

The ability to purge from MyHome & also a better way to identify only those files which were actually opened/saved as you describe are being implemented for the next release of Inventor.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 43
RJW_ACSI

Having the same problem, but I cannot find the registry file...  Dont have a "HKEY" folder of any sort.  Any other suggestions?  I also went into my
Autocad folder and Inventor 2015 folder and did see that.  I don't quite understand where it could possibly be.

Russell Williams

Designer

Automated Conveyor Systems, Inc.

Message 16 of 43
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: RJW_ACSI

Hi Russell,

You need to type regedit at the Windows Start prompt & then you will be able to navigate to that registry key.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 43
RJW_ACSI

Thank You!!!  That got it.

Message 18 of 43
ian
Enthusiast

I have navigated to the Inventor 'recent file list' and the files that i want to remove are not listed here, but they annoyingly are still in the 'My Home'.

So what next?

Message 19 of 43
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: ian

Hi Ian,

The only place MyHome reads from is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion19.0\Recent File List in the registry.

If a file appears in the Myhome recent list then it must be in there. Can you provide a scrrenshot of that registry location & the same list in MyHome ?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 43
ian
Enthusiast
in reply to: ian

Hi Chris, the red circled parts do not appear in the list.

Regards
Ian Lawton

[logo]

Ian Lawton
Bollin Dale Engineering,
Pownall Square,
Crompton Road,
Macclesfield,
Cheshire,
ENGLAND.
SK11 8DT

Tel: 01625 422620
Fax: 01625 614322
ian@bollineng.co.uk
www.bollindaleengineering.co.uk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report