Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot convert to sheet metal

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
pea
Observer
1614 Views, 10 Replies

Cannot convert to sheet metal

Hi,

I have just modelled a part with some faces and tried to convert to sheet metal to have inventor make the bends between the faces. However when trying to convert to sheet metal i get the following error message (Autodesk Inventor Professional Tip) - "This model cannot be converted to Sheet Metal because it contains features that have created multiple bodies. In order to convert to Sheet Metal these features must first be removed."

Sheet Metal Error.jpg

As the picture show the part only has 1 solid. Even when deleting all features except the "base" face I get the same error message or Tip as Inventor calls it. Does anyone know of a fix to this problem?

I have installed service pack 1.1.

Regards

Per Egil

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: pea

I see multiple disnointed solids.

Once they are there - I don't think you can go back (unless you Undo back to where the first solid body was created).

Your best options are to use Derived Components or start over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
japike

Is there a reason you didn't model this as a sheet metal part from the start? This would be easy with the sheet metal tools.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 4 of 11
pea
Observer
in reply to: japike

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have done similar things earlier but I might have converted the part to sheet metal before starting building the features. I tried moving the end of part over all the features and deleted everything except the sketches now and that seemed to work. After converting to sheet metal I could build the same features up again without any problems.

Why I didnt start with sheet metal and use the tools is that I prefer to model everything myself in sketches to have better control and easier adjustment later on.

Message 5 of 11
japike

You can "model everything myself in sketches" and still use sheetmetal tools such as the Face tool with the Bend option to create the part.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 6 of 11
pea
Observer
in reply to: japike

I use the bend command. I guess I could have used the face command as well since I do link the sheet thickness to a sketch dimension. I Just prefer the extrude to plane since then I`m sertain that the direction of the extrude correct.

Message 7 of 11
shaiju02yohannan
in reply to: JDMather

"Derived Components" means...?

how to overcome this issue, please assist.

Message 8 of 11
aurel_e
in reply to: shaiju02yohannan

You could Combine the solids in one and try again.

Can you post the Ipt file? (i hope it will not be 2020 version)

Message 9 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: shaiju02yohannan

@shaiju02yohannan wrote:

how to overcome this issue, please assist.

Zip and Attach file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! It should work. The part has as single solid body with disjoint lumps. Regardless, I don't see a reason why it fails to convert. Please share the file here.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: johnsonshiue

This was an old post.

The original image is from 7 yrs ago.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report