Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Reorder regular parts Browser

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
howardlee306
1215 Views, 13 Replies

Cannot Reorder regular parts Browser

In Inventor 2012 I could grab any part (except patterns of course) and move it anywhere into folders, out of folder, up down, wherever, till my hearts content. But in 2013 sometimes it lets me, sometimes it does not. Sometimes I select a group of parts and when I try to put them into a new folder it will place most of them in it tell me the others are not allowed to be moved? I must stress that these are NOT patterned parts, but stuff I have moved around for at least the last 2 versions of the software. Why in 2013 can I not do this as easily or at all in some cases? Is there a new check box checked by default I can't find? I have tried switching the browser between modeling and assembly view and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I'm at a loss here...

PS it does this with both content center and non content center parts.

Thanks All,

Inventor 2013 sp1.1

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
csaba.stupak
in reply to: howardlee306

Could you attach a simplified dataset and exact workflow (video if possible)?

Thanks,

Csaba

Message 3 of 14
howardlee306
in reply to: csaba.stupak

Sorry it took so long for me to respond to you. Here is an assembly with 3 content center elbows and 1 folder. none of the parts can be moved, dropped in a folder etc. I could do this in 2012 but not 2013.

Also, my parts have the default CC icons, where as the guy next to me has the yellow squares like the CC parts are a normal ipt. But we are using the same CC. That's kind of why I'm thinking I have a check box unchecked or checked when it should not be.

Thank You,

Message 4 of 14
JDMather

An assembly must include ipt files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 14
howardlee306
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry JD. I thought because I was just using the standard CC elbows others would be able to open it. Here's an updated version.

Message 6 of 14
howardlee306

Another thing that does not work is demoting or promoting components like hitting "tab" to create a new sub assembly with parts selected.

Message 7 of 14
howardlee306

I feel like I am one step closer to solving this but I hit a wall. I read throught the other posts about this and still no one has come up with a solution so I have not given up.

When I turn off the routed systems add-in and place any fitting (tee, flange, etc) it comes up with the normal blue square symbol next to it in the browser and the tool tip under my mouse says "insert point". All is good, I can move it in the browser, add them to folders and life is perfect.

When I turn on the routed systems add-in and place the same fitting as above it comes in with the little blue butt welded tee symbol and the tool tip says "tube and pipe insert point" even though it is a normal .iam.

So my thought would be this is a "feature" of the routed systems. But the other 3 guys that all have the same computer as me, with the same version of Inventor, pointing to the same templates, same add-ins turned on, and the same content centers do not experience this behavior.

Did I accidently click a check box? Or am I completly insane and this is all in my head?

Message 8 of 14
sistcon

I have the exact same problem. with Inventor 2014 up to date. I cant figure out what its going on.

Message 9 of 14
SMGordon

I'm having the same problem and I think I found a work around for the time being.

Instead of making a new folder and dragging the parts in like would normally work, first select all the parts in the tree, right click, and choose "Add to New Folder."  If you need to add more parts in after you have to delete the folder, select all the parts again and add to new folder. At least they are already grouped together.

Granted I haven't upgraded to 2015 yet, not sure if it is fixed.

Message 10 of 14

Did anyone ever figure this out?  It is quite annoying.  Like many things inventor

Message 11 of 14

Hi mitchellstockton,

Is your issue related to Tube and Pipe components also? If not do you have more details you could provide?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 12 of 14

Yes. It's related to tube and pipe components whose icon in the browser looks like a tee.
Message 13 of 14

@mitchellstockton wrote:
Yes. It's related to tube and pipe components whose icon in the browser looks like a tee.

Hi mitchellstockton,

See this link:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/reordering-tube-amp-pipe-cc-parts-how/td-p/3515368

Also there is this ilogic rule that strips out the T&P info from the part file, that I've used in the past. I might or might not be useful to you, depending upon your needs and objectives.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

'https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Remove-Tube-and-Pipe-Authoring-from-part.html
 'RemoveTPAuthoringInfo

' Dim oProperty As Property
oProperty = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.PropertySets.Item("32853F0F-3444-11d1-9E93-0060B03C1CA6").ItemByPropId(56)
MessageBox.Show(oProperty.Value, "iLogic") 
'check for info
If oProperty.Value <> "" Then
MessageBox.Show("This file has Tube-and-Pipe Authored info in it.", "iLogic")
'clear it
oProperty.Value = ""
End If

'check again
If oProperty.Value <> "" Then
MessageBox.Show("This file has Tube-and-Pipe Authored info in it.", "iLogic")
Else
MessageBox.Show("Tube-and-Pipe Authored info cleared.", "iLogic")
End If
Message 14 of 14

thanks!  the script did nothing but copy/paste did

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report