Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Create Project Folder - Please Advise

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Cedar_Nate
1021 Views, 11 Replies

Cannot Create Project Folder - Please Advise

Having issues on a laptop with Inventor 2012. Inventor will let the user create a new project folder on the C drive but not on their personal network drive. The user does have all needed permissions to use their network space, but Inventor is not allowing a project folder to be created on on the networked drive.

We have desktops on which project folders can be successfully created on the network drive. Only the laptop seems to be affected by the issue.

Am I missing a simple check box somewhere in Inventor? Any help is greately appriciated!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: Cedar_Nate

Can you have the Lap-Top user log in under a different User and see if the problem goes away. You could have a problem with that particular User-Profile.

There are no settings within IV that would cause this problem.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
scottmoyse

Which Operating System are you using?

Can you post a video showign the problem happening live?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 4 of 12
Cedar_Nate

Thank you for the replies.

I have not tried a second user yet but will.

The laptop is Windows 7 x64 Pro.

The error isn't anything worth video capturing because it creates the folder but then network folder cannot be selected as a project folder. It appears in the list of project folders but cannot be selected. Clicking on it in the list does nothing. There are no error messages or pop-ups.

Message 5 of 12
Cedar_Nate

There was no change logging into the workstation as another user. The issue remained the same and is user independent.

I have attached a screenshot of the issue. This is after double-clicking on the "PLTW Test" folder in an attempt to select it. Note the grayed out save and apply buttons, and the fact the check mark does not move but the gray highlighing does.

Message 6 of 12
scottmoyse

can you upload your project file for us to look at? 

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 7 of 12
Cedar_Nate
in reply to: scottmoyse

To clarify, this is not a laptop I have regular access to.

This issue happens when creating any project folder on a networked drive. There are no files in the folder other than what Inventor tries to create by default. Would a project file cuase these kinds of issues?

Message 8 of 12
blair

It looks like a network permissions issue to me. You might want your IT department to look at it. See if you are logged in with Administrator rights and the same issue arises.

Look at the Permissions of the folder created.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 12
Cedar_Nate
in reply to: blair

I had first considered that, but it's not a rights issue. The same user has no troubles using a desktop where they have the exact same network permissions. This also affects me, one of the IT Admins, when I log into the laptop. No issues on the desktops.

Message 10 of 12
blair

Look at the User Permissions on the machine. You may want to try changing it. You will have an account for the User on the Machine as a local account and permissions, as well as an account on the machine for the User in the Domain (Network).

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
scottmoyse

has the laptop computer name been registered in the active directory correctly? this can sometimes create weird behaviour

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
Cedar_Nate
in reply to: scottmoyse

Those are excellent ideas, but we use Novell and not Active Directory.

I'm starting to think that reinstalling Inventor may be the only option. If that doesn't change anything then it would have to be an Inventor independent setting.

Also, the desktops that work normally and the laptop that doesn't are both Win 7 x64 and have the same Novell client.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report