Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Copy and Paste Sketches From AutoCAD to Inventor 2014 - Windows 8.1

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Otto_B_Ashamed
5133 Views, 24 Replies

Cannot Copy and Paste Sketches From AutoCAD to Inventor 2014 - Windows 8.1

I have recently received an upgraded computer for my workplace with Windows 8.1 SP1 installed.  The details of which are in my signature.  

My issue is that once this suite was installed on the new machine with Windows 8, I can no longer simply import a sketch into Inventor which I have drawn in AutoCAD Mechanical via the clipboard (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V).  The process is as follows:

1. Draw image or open existing within AutoCAD Mechanical
  2. Copy linework (single layer, single polyline) from a .DWG file
  3. Within Inventor, create new part
  4. Create new 2D sketch, then select plane.
  5. Attempt to paste via clipboard linework from ACM. 

The machine attempts to execute (Windows mouse cursor changes to spinning wheel, etc) and does not error.  There is nothing pasted, however.

Steps I have taken so far:

• Multiple default setting "Repairs" to Autodesk Suite
  • Multiple complete fresh installs to Autodesk Suite and used default profile and setup
  • Updates to newest graphics card drivers
  • Update to Windows 8.1 SP1
  • Update Inventor to SP1

Has anyone an idea of what could be causing this?  I have searched for several days through various forums and find no relavent help.  

-------------------------------------
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 - SP1
Intel Core i7-4770 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM | 256GB LITEON SDD
AMD Radeon HD8490 1GB 900MHz
Autodesk Design Suite 2014 (Specifically AM 2014 and Inventor 2014 - SP1, Update 2)
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
tcrish
in reply to: Otto_B_Ashamed

I didn't read through all of these post, so if I am off base or if this has been mentioned I apologize.

I found a forum discussion describing an inventor problem with “Save As.. and Import DWG/DXF”. There was another link posted in that discussion by someone for a fix: Here it is……

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Just by chance, I followed these steps and ‘it worked” for both paste and importing a dwg.

hope this Helps

Tom

Message 22 of 25
Otto_B_Ashamed
in reply to: tcrish

@tcrish wrote:

I didn't read through all of these post, so if I am off base or if this has been mentioned I apologize.

I found a forum discussion describing an inventor problem with “Save As.. and Import DWG/DXF”. There was another link posted in that discussion by someone for a fix: Here it is……

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Just by chance, I followed these steps and ‘it worked” for both paste and importing a dwg.

hope this Helps

Tom

Insane.

This is the solution to the problem all along?  It appears it is.  Thank you, Tom!

Let me reiterate the solution within that link so no one has to follow it somewhere else.  
Somehow, the installation of Autodesk Inventor does not register itself fully within Windows 8.1 environments.  The solution is to manually run the Inventor.exe with an "install" switch.  This registers (or finalizes the registration of) Inventor, allowing it to use these basic features, such as import or copy-paste.  

1.  Press 'Windows' Key.
2.  Type "cmd" and Windows will find the command window option.  

3.  Right click and select 'Run as Administrator' on this command window.
4.  Type into the command window the following change drive command:  cd "c:\program files\autodesk\Inventor 2014\bin" then enter.

5.  Type inventor /install then enter again.

6.  Wait a few moments, then attempt to open Inventor and repeat the steps outlined in the original post.  

Again, thank you Tom for finding that.

Autodesk Design Suite 2014 (Specifically AM 2014 and Inventor 2014 - SP1, Update 2)
Message 23 of 25
tcrish

Glad it helped....I just happened to read through the posts and yours jumped right at me and I knew I had to share.

I pulled my hair our for a month to find the solution to this issue.  Smiley Very Happy

Be well.

Message 24 of 25
w_wemekamp

Did work for me, problem solved. Thanks.

Message 25 of 25
Otto_B_Ashamed
in reply to: w_wemekamp

@wim.wemekamp wrote:

Did work for me, problem solved. Thanks.

Excellent.  

I have also now fixed two separate devices here at work using this trick.  My own desktop and another's Microsoft Surface Pro tablet which were both exhibiting the exact same problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report