Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can this be done in sheet metal

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
138 Views, 3 Replies

Can this be done in sheet metal

Hi All I have modelled the attached. and need to produce it in flat form. Where I have problems is with the cut groove in the material for the bends. There is a good reason for doing it this way. The material is High Density Polyethylene 1/2" thick formed by hand to fit other components. Bending the material at full thickness is impossible so the groove feature is added to help the material form. Any suggestions Thanks Stefan
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I doubt you can do it in Sheetmetal and unfold it without some workarounds. I think I would try making it without the grove part and then derive it into a new file, and make the cuts there. You can then make a flat pattern of the original, and use the derive for the rest of the views. You could also make the cuts in the original, and fill them in the derive and use the derive to make the flat pattern. -- Kent Keller http://www.KWiKMcad.com Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator "stefanw" wrote in message news:40fd19ea_3@newsprd01... > Hi All > > I have modelled the attached. and need to produce it in flat form. > Where I have problems is with the cut groove in the material for the bends. > > There is a good reason for doing it this way. > The material is High Density Polyethylene 1/2" thick formed by hand to fit > other components. > Bending the material at full thickness is impossible so the groove feature > is added to help the material form. > > Any suggestions > > Thanks > > Stefan > > >
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

What I think I'd try (have no idea if it will actually work) is working with a derived part. Possibly copy the exterior faces, derive those, thicken by some amount and, hopefully, flatten.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Try this one.
(see .001" fudge)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report