Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't de-select Plane visibility in browser!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
412 Views, 8 Replies

Can't de-select Plane visibility in browser!

Hi Inventor Experts, I just finished most of the features in an Inventor part. Starting at the top of the browser tree I went through each sketch and feature to correct any problems with the help of the "Sketch Doctor". I wanted to print out a copy of the part but there was a construction plane created to place a cross section for a sweep feature along a path with changing direction. When I tried to turn off this plane prior to printing out the result, no matter what route I took to do this, I was unable to change the visibility of the plane so it would not show by, for example, deselecting "Visibility" in the browser. This must be a bug in IV8. Is there a fix for this? Additionally, on this particular sweep feature I had to create an "Open" path. I got a warning message by using an Open path rather than a "Closed" path but the feature was created anyway. I don't know why there should be any message in the first place for creating an Open path for a Sweep. This makes no sense since both the start and end point are defined and the path is fully constrained. But there may be some connection between the Plane that I am unable to have disappear for printing purposes and this warning, since it was part of creating the Sweep feature. I'd appreciate any help on solving the Plane Visibility issue with this part. Thanks in advance. Wally
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Could you please post the file? Or directly send it to me. Thanks Shekar[Autodesk] "Wally" wrote in message news:40fb0142_2@newsprd01... > Hi Inventor Experts, > > > > I just finished most of the features in an Inventor part. Starting at the > top of the browser tree I went through each sketch and feature to correct > any problems with the help of the "Sketch Doctor". > > > > I wanted to print out a copy of the part but there was a construction plane > created to place a cross section for a sweep feature along a path with > changing direction. When I tried to turn off this plane prior to printing > out the result, no matter what route I took to do this, I was unable to > change the visibility of the plane so it would not show by, for example, > deselecting "Visibility" in the browser. > > > > This must be a bug in IV8. Is there a fix for this? > > > > Additionally, on this particular sweep feature I had to create an "Open" > path. I got a warning message by using an Open path rather than a "Closed" > path but the feature was created anyway. I don't know why there should be > any message in the first place for creating an Open path for a Sweep. This > makes no sense since both the start and end point are defined and the path > is fully constrained. But there may be some connection between the Plane > that I am unable to have disappear for printing purposes and this warning, > since it was part of creating the Sweep feature. > > > > I'd appreciate any help on solving the Plane Visibility issue with this > part. > > > > Thanks in advance. > > > > Wally > >
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Shekar, Thank you for answering my post. I finally stumbled upon the correct menu to make User Planes non-visible. I had been trying to control Plane visibility in the browser by right clicking the plane in the graphics area of the model. I now realize that visibility in that case is only meant to display the current state of visibility of the User Plane. Why that should be an issue in the graphics area where visibility is obvious currently escapes me. The menu that controls visibility is on the View menu (View> Object Visibility> User Work Planes). This again highlights why I so dislike menus. I consider this indication of User Work Plane Visibility to be very misleading and indicative of poor menu organization. It's poor organization because, for example, the visibility of sketches CAN be controlled in the browser without acutally placing them in edit mode. Of course I am fairly new to using Inventor. But that is all the more reason to consider this to be an issue of poor organization. Too often those that have become accustomed to using a program lose track of the difficulties they had learning it. Failure to recognize this directly correlates with resistance to adoption of a new program by potential new users because of easier (better organized) alternatives. Poor organization also negatively impacts training costs (perhaps to the glee of those making a living in the training industry). Again I am wishing for a return of the command line in Inventor. Let those that like menus deal with the inconsistancies. The command line is a way to avoid the inconsistancies authored by others. Wally "Shekar Subrahmanyam[Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40fbd9c1$1_3@newsprd01... > Could you please post the file? Or directly send it to me. Thanks > > Shekar[Autodesk] > "Wally" wrote in message > news:40fb0142_2@newsprd01... > > Hi Inventor Experts, > > > > > > > > I just finished most of the features in an Inventor part. Starting at the > > top of the browser tree I went through each sketch and feature to correct > > any problems with the help of the "Sketch Doctor". > > > > > > > > I wanted to print out a copy of the part but there was a construction > plane > > created to place a cross section for a sweep feature along a path with > > changing direction. When I tried to turn off this plane prior to printing > > out the result, no matter what route I took to do this, I was unable to > > change the visibility of the plane so it would not show by, for example, > > deselecting "Visibility" in the browser. > > > > > > > > This must be a bug in IV8. Is there a fix for this? > > > > > > > > Additionally, on this particular sweep feature I had to create an "Open" > > path. I got a warning message by using an Open path rather than a > "Closed" > > path but the feature was created anyway. I don't know why there should be > > any message in the first place for creating an Open path for a Sweep. > This > > makes no sense since both the start and end point are defined and the path > > is fully constrained. But there may be some connection between the Plane > > that I am unable to have disappear for printing purposes and this warning, > > since it was part of creating the Sweep feature. > > > > > > > > I'd appreciate any help on solving the Plane Visibility issue with this > > part. > > > > > > > > Thanks in advance. > > > > > > > > Wally > > > > > >
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Can you post a example file that you can't turn the planes visibility on or off? Turning them on and off in the browser or in the graphics works fine for me. Are you sure you didn't have some sort of selection filter ....even with that it should have worked in the browser. -- Kent Keller Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "Wally" wrote in message news:40fc0805_3@newsprd01... > Hi Shekar, > > Thank you for answering my post. I finally stumbled upon the correct menu > to make User Planes non-visible. I had been trying to control Plane > visibility in the browser by right clicking the plane in the graphics area > of the model.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

I have no problems turning WorkPlanes on/off in the browser or graphics area, or are you trying to hide visibility in the browser itself. You can click the funnel to hide certain items in the browser. What video card are you using? Mike Attachment not added (too many attachments): "WP_3.jpg" Attachment not added (too many attachments): "WP_4.jpg"
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. "Wally" wrote in message news:40fc0805_3@newsprd01... > Hi Shekar, > > Thank you for answering my post. I finally stumbled upon the correct menu > to make User Planes non-visible. I had been trying to control Plane > visibility in the browser by right clicking the plane in the graphics area > of the model. I now realize that visibility in that case is only meant to > display the current state of visibility of the User Plane. Why that should > be an issue in the graphics area where visibility is obvious currently > escapes me. The menu that controls visibility is on the View menu (View> > Object Visibility> User Work Planes). > > This again highlights why I so dislike menus. I consider this indication of > User Work Plane Visibility to be very misleading and indicative of poor menu > organization. It's poor organization because, for example, the visibility > of sketches CAN be controlled in the browser without acutally placing them > in edit mode. Of course I am fairly new to using Inventor. But that is all > the more reason to consider this to be an issue of poor organization. Too > often those that have become accustomed to using a program lose track of the > difficulties they had learning it. Failure to recognize this directly > correlates with resistance to adoption of a new program by potential new > users because of easier (better organized) alternatives. Poor organization > also negatively impacts training costs (perhaps to the glee of those making > a living in the training industry). > > Again I am wishing for a return of the command line in Inventor. Let those > that like menus deal with the inconsistancies. The command line is a way to > avoid the inconsistancies authored by others. > > Wally > > > "Shekar Subrahmanyam[Autodesk]" wrote in message > news:40fbd9c1$1_3@newsprd01... > > Could you please post the file? Or directly send it to me. Thanks > > > > Shekar[Autodesk] > > "Wally" wrote in message > > news:40fb0142_2@newsprd01... > > > Hi Inventor Experts, > > > > > > > > > > > > I just finished most of the features in an Inventor part. Starting at > the > > > top of the browser tree I went through each sketch and feature to > correct > > > any problems with the help of the "Sketch Doctor". > > > > > > > > > > > > I wanted to print out a copy of the part but there was a construction > > plane > > > created to place a cross section for a sweep feature along a path with > > > changing direction. When I tried to turn off this plane prior to > printing > > > out the result, no matter what route I took to do this, I was unable to > > > change the visibility of the plane so it would not show by, for example, > > > deselecting "Visibility" in the browser. > > > > > > > > > > > > This must be a bug in IV8. Is there a fix for this? > > > > > > > > > > > > Additionally, on this particular sweep feature I had to create an "Open" > > > path. I got a warning message by using an Open path rather than a > > "Closed" > > > path but the feature was created anyway. I don't know why there should > be > > > any message in the first place for creating an Open path for a Sweep. > > This > > > makes no sense since both the start and end point are defined and the > path > > > is fully constrained. But there may be some connection between the > Plane > > > that I am unable to have disappear for printing purposes and this > warning, > > > since it was part of creating the Sweep feature. > > > > > > > > > > > > I'd appreciate any help on solving the Plane Visibility issue with this > > > part. > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks in advance. > > > > > > > > > > > > Wally > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Mike, I'm using a 3Dlabs Wildcat VP 990 Pro video card. I went through the configuration of the card with the reseller and it was found that I had the wrong driver. That was before this current part was under development. The driver I should have installed, per Autodesk's website where it got a rating indicating that it passed all functionality tests, was the one previous to the latest driver. Anyway, what's with all this tweaking to get the program to perform the way it should? I built my own system, so I guess that could be a basis for some suggestion that this introduced difficiencies resulting in program malfunctions, such as I'm experiencing. After having suffered through the tech support of a prebuilt system by Micron PC, touted to be more than capable of handling Autodesk's software, I simply don't buy that argument. As for buying a comparable prebuilt system from, for example, Dell Computer, I would have paid half again more for that, with no guarantee that I wouldn't have had a similar experience from this integrator. I'm quite happy with what I've put together. I would suggest that anybody that wants to devote the required time into researching the parts they need to buy to put one together to run Inventor do so. I got manuals, software, cables, adapters, assembly instructions, etc, (all parts were retail versions) that I never would have received with a pre-built system, not to mention the excellent tech support and additional warranty periods from each device manufacturer. Concerning your comment about hiding visbility in the browser itself, that was not the issue. The issue is hiding or showing the plane in the graphics window. Apparently the only place I can do this is through the view menu. The other places where I've been told by those that responded only seem to function as indicators of the current visibility state, even though there is a check box to change the visibility. Before I post this file I will need to look more thoroughly through the program to see if there is some sort of additional control that is preventing me from being able to change the visibility in the graphics and browser windows. Thanks to you and the others for the help so far on this issue. Wally "Mike Maenpaa" wrote in message news:40fc1320_1@newsprd01... > I have no problems turning WorkPlanes on/off in the browser or graphics > area, or are you trying to hide visibility in the browser itself. You can > click the funnel to hide certain items in the browser. > What video card are you using? > > Mike > > >
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Check to make sure you haven't changed the selection filter if this is in a Assembly file. Doesn't seem to matter in a part file? -- Kent Keller Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "Wally" wrote in message Before I post this file I will need > to look more thoroughly through the program to see if there is some sort of > additional control that is preventing me from being able to change the > visibility in the graphics and browser windows. > > Thanks to you and the others for the help so far on this issue. > > Wally
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Kent, This is a part file. Since I do have functionality through the View menu, I'm using it as a work-around for the problem. Wally "Kent Keller" wrote in message news:40fc28ea$1_3@newsprd01... > Check to make sure you haven't changed the selection filter if this is in a > Assembly file. Doesn't seem to matter in a part file? > > -- > Kent Keller > Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator > > > "Wally" wrote in message Before I post this > file I will need > > to look more thoroughly through the program to see if there is some sort > of > > additional control that is preventing me from being able to change the > > visibility in the graphics and browser windows. > > > > Thanks to you and the others for the help so far on this issue. > > > > Wally > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report