Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't apply Custom Appearances to Custom Materials

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Infallable
565 Views, 2 Replies

Can't apply Custom Appearances to Custom Materials

Hello,

I am trying to create custom Materials in Inventor 2013.  I have been able to create the custom appearances I want use on the materials and store them in the Inventor Materials Library.

After creating the custom appearance, Ive created new materials. When I try to change to new material appearance from default to my custom appearance, upon hitting the 'apply' button I get an error message which reads, 'failed to updated style'.

I really have no idea what I'm  missing and it's driving me crazy!!!

I'm sure other people have had issues with the new material/style setup in 2013 - I'd really appreciate any help you can provide.

cheers!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
SBix26
in reply to: Infallable

First, make sure that you have installed Service Pack 1.1, and applied Update 2.  These fixed some issues with Materials and Appearances (among other things), although I'm still having the occasional problem.  

If you're up to date and still having the issue, make sure that your new appearance and material are saved to the M&A library.  Then change your material back to generic or some other 'safe' material and Purge Styles from your file, making sure to include your new material in the purge.  Now set the material to your new material (from the library) and change the appearance.  Should work, but no guarantees.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 3
daniel.balogh
in reply to: Infallable

Hi, I found this topic while having the same trouble in Inventor 2014.

My solution was, to apply material-changes with an Assembly-document open.... 

Mateditor -> load material from your own adsklib in the document, apply appearance change, save it back to your adkslib

Seems no to allow material appearence changes in a part environment.

(I know, this is an old topic but maybe someone faces the same issue)

BR,

Daniel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report