Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Install Service Pack 2 for Inventor 2012 (Design Suite)

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
mthomas
2281 Views, 12 Replies

Can't Install Service Pack 2 for Inventor 2012 (Design Suite)

When I attempt to install SP2 for Inventor 2012 it gets part of the way thru and then hangs at the "Copying new files..." point

I have my anti-virus (Norton) disabled

I have the SP2 installer local on my machine

I have tried restarting the machine

It has installed without issue on other systems here

Inventor 2012 from Design Suite Ultimate on Windows 7 64-bit

Any ideas?

Mike Thomas

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
trumpy81
in reply to: mthomas

Are you sure that it is hanging and not just taking an inordinate amount of time to complete?

I have seen installers take a long time to complete even after the dialog says that have completed, or are at 100% as your picture shows.

Why it happens I don't know, but it sure can be frustrating and annoying at times, especially when you know it can work quicker than that.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 13
mthomas

Maybe, I let it go over lunch (30-minutes) and it never progressed past that point. I'll start it tonite and see if it finishes by the morning.

What's odd is that its doing this on two systems and both are HP z600's. We have other HP systems but they applied the patch without issue

Mike

Mike Thomas

Message 4 of 13
tony

I'm having the exact same problem... Were you able to figure out why it stops right at the end?

Message 5 of 13

if your OS is Win7, please install this microsoft hotfix first and reboot OS, then try to install Inventor SP again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2663352

if that doesn't work for you, install attached registry key, and install SP, when you encounter the issue again,  open OS temporary folder(Start -> Run -> input %temp%), find the latest log file and attach it.

Message 6 of 13
mthomas

Based on a suggestion from Autodesk Tech Support I used Procesmon (from Microsoft) to track what was occuring during the SP installation. Turns out my system was looking for the old location of the design suite deployment. Adjusting the appropriate keys in the registry to the correct (new) deployment location solved the problem.

The only question is why this only effected two of our systems... I used the same deployment for all of our Inventor installs.

Mike

Mike Thomas

Message 7 of 13
tony

Thank you, Mike. Our solution ended up being to just wait for what seemed like too long ... the process eventually finished on its own. I appreciate your reply.

Message 8 of 13

I just heard that we are going to be installing SP 2.0 as well.

I am just wondering if this is a localized issue or is this an issue of concern for all that are going to be installing this service pack.

Shouls I be looking for something specific and do I need to cut to the chase and install this hotfix first?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!  Smiley Wink

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 13
tony
in reply to: Cadmanto

In our case, we installed this on two computers and didn't have problems with either -- except for that exceptionally long delay at the end which seems like a freeze. 

Message 10 of 13
KevinHu_PDMS_Vault
in reply to: tony

this issue is a local problem. when you installing SP of Inventor, if installer found some aim files are not the ones it wants, it will ask for source file. if Inventor is installed via deployment image that on a server and you uncheck that remember user account and password when you installing Inventor, installer cannot access the server to get source file and it will try to access the server again and again. you will see installer hangs here for long time.

you can view the log file to see what installer is doing.

Message 11 of 13

Thanks Kevin.

Is there some check list that can be followed to make sure all your ducks are in a row prior to installing?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 12 of 13
fravat
in reply to: Cadmanto

if sp2 installation fail (copying new file and then nothing happen)

->Uninstall Inventor 2012

--> the uninstall can't finsh (cause same problem : i look for installation location and don't find it)

See the log file in %temp%

Then there's some line "can't find installation sources on "\\xxx\2012\PDSP_FR\_source\64b\x64\inventor\

copy that line

cancel uninstall

->Plug installation sources like USB KEy for exemple E:\sources\

Go in REGEDIT HKLM

CTRL+F

PASTE 

Search

replace all 

\xxxx\2012\PDSP_FR\_source\64b\x64\inventor\

with 

E:\sources\x64\Inventor

Then Redo that search and replace all "\xxxx\2012\PDSP_FR\_source\64b\x64\inventor\...\" with "E:\_sources\x64\Inventor )

10 regedit key for inventor ( more or less) -> 5 exaclty (edit)

Enjoy !

Message 13 of 13
jrspath1

I had a similar problem with SP2.  I followed instructions at this link and SP loaded OK.

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/23789

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report