Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a drawing view be generated that corresponds to an item on the BOM?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
aseng
299 Views, 4 Replies

Can a drawing view be generated that corresponds to an item on the BOM?

I am making a drawing in which I have an assembly of multiple parts and one subassembly. I already have my bill of materials on the drawing also. Can I now show details of each of the parts by calling them out by their item number on the BOM? I realize that I could simply insert another base view of the individual part, but I would rather they be pulled directly by their item number on the BOM. This would be ideal so that the view could automatically be labeled "item 1.1" or "detail 1.1" instead of manually having to insert that text. Any help would be great.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: aseng

You can insert a view from the assembly then select the model that corresponds to that view in the browser and turn off the visibility of the components you don't want.  This will keep the item number the same in relation to the BOM.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 5
aseng
in reply to: Cadmanto

The only problem is that this assembly is a weldment and has features machined in after it is assembled. I detail the features on the overall assembly. So technically I want the component views to only detail the original parts but to directly correlate to the BOM at the same time. I am creating an inventor template for a company and believe that it would be easier if the detailed views of the parts automatically came with a text box that would display their item number.

Message 4 of 5
Cadmanto

I know what you are talking about.  I had a very similar issue with some of my drawings.  What I ended up doing and it is not ideal the way I would like it done, was to create views by inserting just those parts or sub assemblies (not the top level) and creating a BOM that I placed off of the drawing having the same item numbers as the master BOM.  It intailed some manual input, but like I said gave me what I needed.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi aseng,

If it's a weldment there are tools that allow you to show each part individually, as described at the begining of this link:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/detailing-frame-generator-weldment.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report