Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable & harness - where's my pins?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
grobbarg
316 Views, 5 Replies

Cable & harness - where's my pins?

Hi all,

Being a total newbie to Cable & Harness, I'm struggling to create a simple single core cable from point to point.
I have edited the necessary parts via C&H to include a pin, however when it comes to creating cable, I can't select the pins in the graphics window (they're not visible) - I can however trawl through the model tree to select. What am I doing wrong? The goal is to connect various sensors on a subsea manifold just to estimate lengths of cable required, so don't need to get fancy with connectors etc (at this stage anyway).

TIA for any pointers.

Graham

Inventor 2009 Routed systems
Windows XP x64
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013
Win7 x64
Dell Precision T7400
Xeon X5460 @ 3.16GHz
8GB RAM
Quadro FX 1700 512MB
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: grobbarg

Can you attach the parts here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
grobbarg

Thanks for reply JD,

I discovered my error when preparing a 'test' assembly to post here - in the main assembly, "Object visibility/user work points" was unchecked, which hid the 'pins'. Silly me....

One further query though, am I correct in thinking that the cable/wire that is connected from pins 1-2 etc will display as a straight line until it is routed via a 'segment' ? and only then will display with natural bends?
At this time, all I've been asked to do is estimate cable lengths from one point to another, it seems to me this could be achieved just by creating a continuous 'segment' from point A to point B - would that work?

(I realise also, that once the client sees how cables/wires can be routed, they may well request a full harness model complete with connectors etc, by which time I hope to understand a bit more C&H).

Thanks,
Graham
Win7 x64
Dell Precision T7400
Xeon X5460 @ 3.16GHz
8GB RAM
Quadro FX 1700 512MB
Message 4 of 6
JDMather

>I discovered my error when preparing a 'test'

>will display as a straight line until it is routed via a 'segment' ? and only then will display with natural bends?

Sounds like another test is in order. Yes, it will be a straight line "rat's nest" until routed. You should go through the tutorials and skill builders. Takes about half an hour and will save you hours of frustration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

"At this time, all I've been asked to do is estimate cable lengths from
one point to another"

In order to "estimate" wire lengths, you will need to route the wires
through a harness (easiest). The you will have exact lengths.
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Attend the "It's a Duesy II " Manufacturing Revival Conference
March 17th, 2010 More Information at:
http://teknigroup.com
Message 6 of 6
grobbarg

Thanks guys,

Have found the RoutedSys Get started manual and working through that.
Usual rush job, hence not taking time to study first, but making a bit more sense now, and have managed to make my first harness, albeit a bit snakey like.

Cheers,

Graham
Win7 x64
Dell Precision T7400
Xeon X5460 @ 3.16GHz
8GB RAM
Quadro FX 1700 512MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report