Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable and Harness - Virtual parts in BOM

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Maarten.Menheere
1623 Views, 5 Replies

Cable and Harness - Virtual parts in BOM

I would like to include Terminals and other virtual parts in het BOM on my drawing. For this I need to generate a report. I have defined my own virtual parts but somhow their properties are not accessible. You can see 88 items but this is the total of all segements and pins. Somehow partnumbers show as "---". If somebody can point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated. I have included the report configuration file I am using.

Best regards,

Maarten

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Haulmax
in reply to: Maarten.Menheere

as far as I can work out Maarten, the only properties that are available in the report creation(,cfg) are what has been generated and applicable to the file you are working on.

Mine gets stored in the following location.

C:\User\"Your name"\AppData\Local\Temp\"name of your current file".xml.

I needed virtual parts to be shown on connector tables and after creating the report, I open the .csv file as delimited and by comma. Then I add a vlookup formula to look at a spreadsheet I had to extracted from the library using "export Library objects". It is only a work around and we are still on Inventer 2012 so not sure if later versions have fixed the ability to report on virtual parts or not?

regards

Tim F (Haulmax)

Message 3 of 6
Maarten.Menheere
in reply to: Haulmax

Hi, Thanks for the tip.

My workaround is to split the partslist between a normal partslist (assembly placed outside the worksheet) and a BOM report.

I edit the drawing numbers in the partslist to resemble the RefDes by hand. Pin and heatshrink tubing I add to the assembly as empty parts.

Then I create a seperate BOM report with only wire and segement information. And make this to look very similar to a regular partslist. Stick this below the partslist with title "WIRE PARTS LIST"

It is all semi parametric this way. Only you can quickly make errors with the type and amount of pins in the assembly. I would rather this would work automatically with virtual parts. I do not understand the usefullness of vitual parts otherwise.

Best regards,

Maarten

Message 4 of 6

I was wondering if this was ever addressed again we are running Inventor 2015 and what I would like to see if data in the Virtual Part can be brought over to a nail board sketch and the BOM Report. The Terminals since they are part of the Harness and have a wire at that point I can bring it over but since the Plug does not have a wire associated to the pin I had to Identify the point and add the virtual part there. See attachments

Thank You for the Help

Mike

Message 5 of 6

Hi Mike,

This has been a long time ago that we used this. Using cable and harness got to complex to use with our products. We make dummy parts in the iam for the harness to get it in the partslist. We draw the cable in Autocad in 2d. This is more stable for length of wire and revisions. Thanks for looking into this again.

Best regards,

Maarten
Message 6 of 6

Hi, can someone help me showing how to create a new virtual part. I am planning to create various Looms and setup some attributes accordingly. Appreciate your help in advance. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report