Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAPS Case or Title Case in Drawings - What About System stuff?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tdswanson
602 Views, 4 Replies

CAPS Case or Title Case in Drawings - What About System stuff?

Hey guys:

I've read up on some threads about people going to Title Case on their drawings versus CAPS.  Honestly, I guess I don't care as long as all the text on my drawing is the same.

Seems like folks wanting to force materials to CAPS would go and create themselves a new font that was all CAPS, which seems easy enough.

But for the folks that want to use Title Case, what did you do about the system generated text items?  Some examples:

THRU

SECTION A-A

DETAIL B

SCALE 1 / 8

Is there a way to force these to Title Case?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi  tdswanson,

I think what you're after can be done from a drawing file, just go to the Manage tab > Styles Editor button then click the Standard in the left pane, and then choose the View Preferences tab on the right pane as shown:

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5

Wow, that's great to know.  So I can take care of the view titles and probably most annotation type text through editing the drawing standard.

Presently, here's the way I see this, and again, I really don't have strong feelings either way.  I just want my drawings to be uniform.

If I go with ALL CAPS, I've got to create a font and use it to document the material and mass.  And oddly, the style for a chamfer note.

If I go with Title Case, I'll have to edit the standard including: View Titles, View Scales, Hole callouts (THRU vs Thru), table titles (REVISION TABLE vs Revision Table).

Anything I'm forgetting?  Seems like a fair number of clicks either way and that there's room for improvement there from Autodesk.

As an aside Curtis, I need to very much compliment you on the Mastering Inventor book(s).  We're a very small company and I'm the lone engineering nerd, so running off for several days of training really isn't practical for us during the transition to Inventor.  I've now amassed a great deal of knowledge on this product in a short amount of time and your book (paired with AutoDesk's online Tutorials and this forum) have been invaluable tools in this transition.  Great job!  I'd be thrilled to find another book with your name on it the next time I do something like this.

Thanks again for your help here (and everywhere else)!

Message 4 of 5

Hi  tdswanson,

Thanks for the kind words. Smiley Happy

Also, you might go to the Inventor IdeaStation and log your improvement idea while it's on your mind.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 5

OK.  So I found a special version of the Arial font that's CAPS only.  I installed in and made some changes to a test drawing and everything seemed good to go to a CAPS only format.

Then it occurred to me that I occasionally will make a PDF of a drawing and submit it to the world.  If the user doesn't have that special font, it would likely be a problem.  Tested that, and yes it's a problem.  It subbed to a different font and symbols were screwy.

So I abandoned the CAPS only format since I really didn't want to create a new material library just to change the titles to CAPS.  Also, my drawing has the mass pullled from model and I didn't know what I could do about "lbmass".

I instead went option by option through my standard and changed everything.  Most things weren't too bad, but within the standard, I have (4) sets of object defaults, so I had to go through ALL of the hole types (4) different times to change THRU to Thru.

But it's done.  And all future drawings should be uniform, even for PDF copies submitted externally.  It took probably an hour or so.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report