Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD Mice with programmable buttons

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
RonnyM82
301 Views, 3 Replies

CAD Mice with programmable buttons

Right,
I have recently purchased a 3D connexion Space navigator, and i love it, but it only has 2 buttons, the great thing about it however is that the buttons are environment sensitive. At this stage i don't want to fork out the much higher amount of money for an explorer or the space pilot. Having seen a co-workers logitech mx revolution mouse it got me wondering if there is anyone out there with a mouse that has software which supports environment sensitve button assignments. I realize there are plenty of mice out there that support the ability to change the function of each button from one program to the next but i am hoping someone else may have taken it that step further or if anyone knows of any third party software that will do the trick with an off the shelf mouse.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: RonnyM82

No "off-the-shelf" software. You can "map" the
"command strokes" to the buttons on the mouse. Your best "off-th-shelf" solution
is forking out the money for a SpacePilot or SpaceExplorer. If your time is not
of value then you can pull the  "command key-strokes" for each command you
want and map them to your mouse. These will not be eviroment sensitive but it
can be done.

--
InventorSuite 2010
Dell Precision 690
Dual Quad Core E5320
@ 1.86GHz
4Gb DDR SDRam - 667 Mhz, ECC
SAS 146Gb - 15k rpm
Quadro
FX3500 256Mb - Driver: 182.46 Bios: 5.71.22.55.08
Direct 3D
XP Pro
Sp3  3Gb/2800
Space Explorer USB, release: 3.7.12 driver 6.7.11 firmware
AVG 8.5

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Right,
I have recently purchased a 3D connexion Space navigator, and i love it, but
it only has 2 buttons, the great thing about it however is that the buttons
are environment sensitive. At this stage i don't want to fork out the much
higher amount of money for an explorer or the space pilot. Having seen a
co-workers logitech mx revolution mouse it got me wondering if there is anyone
out there with a mouse that has software which supports environment sensitve
button assignments. I realize there are plenty of mice out there that support
the ability to change the function of each button from one program to the next
but i am hoping someone else may have taken it that step further or if anyone
knows of any third party software that will do the trick with an off the shelf
mouse.
Message 3 of 4
RonnyM82

Does anyone else have anything to offer on this topic please?
Message 4 of 4
sevendf

Hi,
Have been a regular reader here for a while, but this is my first post. Just wanted to add my two cents regarding mice and controllers. I use a Razor lachesis mouse and a Belkin n52te controller. I have found this combination to be really good. Never quite understood the buzz about space pilots, but then again I have never used one, I have found the combination of remapping f4, home and look at to be super fast in navigating around. I was always a logitec guy but one to many problems with the software made me look elsewhere. The razor software is awesome for setting up macros etc and the belkin uses the same engine. To answer your original question...This mouse will sort of do that but I have never found the need. You can set up different profiles etc in the software and switch on the fly with one of the mouse buttons, although you lose a mouse button for the profile switching obviously. Between the 2 devices I have over 80 commands and it means I can ditch the ribbon as well. Although be prepared for the serious guys to give you some stick for using "kids" toys with "flashing blue lights" to work 10 times faster than they can.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report