Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Breakout

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dan_inv09
478 Views, 9 Replies

Broken Breakout

I went to the browser to select the assembly and switch it so everything sections and those bolts won't be floating there in the way.

Breakout.png

Notice how they aren't highlighted like everything else.

I just ... I can't really ... I mean ... For now let's just leave it at ARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jletcher
in reply to: dan_inv09

Two ways to fix

1. Put selection on part and pick them and turn visibility off.

2. Click bolt for break out and use depth.

Message 3 of 10

Hi dan_inv09,

I think what you're seeing might be a result of the Section Partiicpation settings. By default standard parts such as fasteners are not set to participate in sectioning (and break out views). You can change the setting of the part file by going to the Tools tab > Document Settings button > Modeling tab of the part.

Or you can override this setting at the drawing level as shown in this image taken from Jonathan Landeros' article on this subject of break out views:

http://www.inventortales.com/2012/11/creating-breakout-view-in-autodesk.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 10
dan_inv09
in reply to: jletcher

1. Since it's only a couple of parts I was going to try that except:

Breakout 2.png

they are 9, 12 and 15.

2. The breakout depth is about 15 or 20 inches below the bolts as it is.

Message 5 of 10

I was trying to select the whole assembly to change the section participation when I noticed that they were not highlighting with everything else. And you can see for my other response why I cannot change them individually.

Message 6 of 10

Okay

Here's what happened: I go into the assembly, double click on a lockwasher in the browser (had to expand the pattern) and on the Modeling tab in Document Settings I check the box - I'm sure that's overridden by the Section All Parts checkbox for the assembly that I can't find at the moment, but whatever - "Can't edit Library parts"

But then, when I get back to the drawing, it's all better.

(Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get an accurate test of my theory that you just have to pick the assembly in the browser before making the breakout and set it to Section.)

Message 7 of 10
jletcher
in reply to: dan_inv09

I don't pick anything I put my sketch in then click icon for break out then view then the part I want a break out but in the view not the browser.

Message 8 of 10

Hi  dan_inv09,

Hmmm, with the screen shot you show, I think there is something going on with the way the pattern is being represented in the view, but I don't have any guesses as to what is going on. It just doesn't look right to me.

On another note, you might have a look at the Display Options tab for the view you set up the Break view on:

(image taken from http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Visibility-Issue-in-Drawing-Environment/td-p/3925464...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 9 of 10
dan_inv09
in reply to: jletcher

I meant make sure the whole assembly is set to Section before making the breakout - they "don't exist" after the breakout so you can't change them afterwards.

Message 10 of 10

Exactly, the entire assembly is highlighted green, but they are still black. Even though we can see them, in the browser they are not there. (Somehow, I poked around in the assembly enough that it realized they weren't supposed to be there - or it just got bored with that game and is busy working on some other way to mess with me.

On that other note, I have that set, the problem is that they default to "None" and I need to learn to remember to change the assembly first. Unfortunately, I place my first view then start placing the other views right away - I need to place the first view and stop, then go and change everything: Link to Representation and Thread Feature in Edit View, and Section participation from the browser and there's something else I'm forgetting. But you drop that first view and you can just keep going, why did they do that? They either need to make it so that you have to stop to fix the base view, or make it so you set the defaults before hand - seriously, who NEEDS to have Thread Feature off?!?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report