Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolted connection generator - no holes? (holes red)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
PaulMunford
1200 Views, 6 Replies

Bolted connection generator - no holes? (holes red)

Can anyone tell me where my holes have gone?!

Bolted connection generator.jpg

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

6 REPLIES 6
Message 3 of 7
pcrawley
in reply to: PaulMunford

Can you provide a slightly larger screenshot showing the thread & diameter options you've got selected?

Depending on your selection, the Hole selector will go red because a hole-type for your requirements does not exist.  An example would be Thread = ISO Metric, diameter 7mm : The hole selection goes red (ISO Drilled type) because there are no diameters in the clearance spreadsheet for a 7mm bolt.  (Not even sure there's a 7mm bolt!)

You could just change the hole to a "custom" diameter and enter a value:

20-09-2013 11-14-50 a-m-.jpg

Peter
Message 4 of 7
PaulMunford
in reply to: pcrawley

Thanks for the help Gentlemen.

The problem appears to be that there are no holes being fed from the content centre.

I've checked the install paths and everything looks good... Maybe I have some corruption and I need to try re-installing content centre :{

Bolted connection generator 01.jpg

Bolted connection generator 02.jpg

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 5 of 7
cbenner

I have run across this with other fasteners in BC.  It seems random, and I use it so infrequently that I just haven't taken the time to debug it.  I copied most of my fastener libraries from standard CC libraries, so I could add my own part nunbers and such.  Occasionally I will simply NOT be able to see one of them when using BC, even though I can manually place it from the CC.  For example, adding bolts, nuts and washers to a pipe flange using "Concentric" and follow pattern.  (this only happens some of the time... weird) Sometimes I can set the size, choose a bolt and washer and NOT be able to select the nut that goes with it.  Then other times I can edit the BC and add the nut later.

I guess I'd need to play with BC more to see if there was a pattern, I'm sure it must be something in the CC family tabel that is not set right... but what?  It may be the same for you Paul, with your hole libraries.  But again,... what?

Message 6 of 7
pcrawley

Content Center isn't the right place to be looking.  There's probably nothing wrong there, and a reinstall won't make any difference.

Holes for BC are created by data stored in XML files located in the Design Data directory structure.  If you want to reinstall something, unpack the contents of the attached file into this folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\Design Data\Design Accelerator\Tables\Holes (or wherever your project specifies as the location for your Design Data).

One day, all this data might be rolled into the Threads and Clearances Excel spreadsheets.  Another one for the Idea Station?

Haven't had time to look at the specifics of your issue - might get time later today.

Peter
Message 7 of 7
cbill7X6J6

I had this same problem recently. Uninstalling and reinstalling Inventor seems to have solved the issue for me. For some reason, Inventor wasn't recognizing the pre-existing holes and was trying to create new ones, hence the red "drilled hole" prompt. Now, on the fresh install, Inventor is recognizing the existing geometry. Hope this helped.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report