Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolted Connections creating tapped holes

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Mario428
763 Views, 13 Replies

Bolted Connections creating tapped holes

I needed to create a lot of bolted connections so that my design could be sent for FEA analysis.

Connections with thru holes eg. nuts and washers on the back work fine beyond the everpresent update issues.

My issue is with tapped holes, my parts already have the tapped holes but the "Bot\lted connection" feature insists on creating a new tapped hole for me. This is not so bad but every time I have to update for moved holes etc when updating the bolted connection I get a new tapped hole.

Would really like to get rid of that tapped hole?

Also when I get the extra holes I delete the feature and then have problems with the underlying sketch which I cannot access, how do I get rid of that sketch or how do I access it?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 3 of 14
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Mario428

Also, bolted connections aren't going to do much for you in FEA ... you're a lot better off getting creative with some split features and using some bonded contacts, or some clever constraints.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
Mario428
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenner wrote:

How are you creating your BC?  Are you using the "existing hole" method?

Do not any such option anywhere, would like to use that if I could figure out how to set it.

Message 5 of 14
Mario428
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

Also, bolted connections aren't going to do much for you in FEA ... you're a lot better off getting creative with some split features and using some bonded contacts, or some clever constraints.

I send them a .stp file so the fasteners come thru just like the parts do

Message 6 of 14
LT.Rusty

Just for fun, why don't you re-import a step file of one of your threaded fasteners, and see what you get out of it.

Trust me, they're not using them when they do the FEA.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
cbenner
Message 8 of 14
Mario428

@LT.Rusty wrote:

Just for fun, why don't you re-import a step file of one of your threaded fasteners, and see what you get out of it.

Trust me, they're not using them when they do the FEA.

No they are not but they needed to know fasteners size etc. They wanted fasteners in all the holes for the ASME pressure vessel submission so I put fasteners in. Bolted connection is by far the quickest way but "almost" causes more problems than it fixes

Message 10 of 14
LT.Rusty

"Almost" is being charitable.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
Mario428
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenner wrote:

bc.JPG

How do I do more than one hole at a time using that? Almost all of my bolted connection are a 4 bolt flange of some type.

Message 12 of 14
Mario428

@LT.Rusty wrote:

@LT.Rusty wrote:

Figured I would be nice since thsi is an Inventor forum and some [people must find it useful. Considering a few hours ago I was ready to throw the computer across the room from fustration with Inventor I am being really nice. LOL

Message 13 of 14
LT.Rusty

@Mario428 wrote:

@cbenner wrote:

How do I do more than one hole at a time using that? Almost all of my bolted connection are a 4 bolt flange of some type.

After you pick your hole, if it's a pattern, you should get an option to follow pattern.

Realistically though, it's almost as fast - and a lot less hassle down the road - to just insert the fasteners from content center using auto drop and the insert multiple button.  Drop your washers first onto the holes, then your nuts, then do your bolts last so you can adjust for length.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
BLHDrafting

As you already have the holes created, how about just dropping the bolts/washers/etc.. from the Favourites section of the model tree? That's what I do and it has auto-drop for recognition of other same size holes.

favourites.jpg

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums