Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolted Connection Generator Through Multiple Parts

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
alexandrenarten
1217 Views, 6 Replies

Bolted Connection Generator Through Multiple Parts

Hello People Smiley Happy

I'm trying out Inventor 2013 and I have modelled 2 parts. 1 hollow cone with a collar on each end and a disk to fit between 2 instances of that cone positioned in opposite directions in my assembly.

Perspective

Side View

I am having difficulty making a bolted connection between the 3 parts through any of the holes. It only seems to go through one of the collars and the central disk but I can't get the generator to select the correct termination surface on the collar of the second cone. Is this not possible?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Here are some more images to better express my problem:

Bolted Connection Generator WRONG SURFACE

As you can see, it only seems to let me choose the closing surface of the same cone and not the opposite surface from the other cone.

The Surface I want to connect to

The arrow indicates the out hole / surface I'd like the bolt to terminate at.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thank you so much for your time 😄

Message 3 of 7

Are the two cones the same part, or a mirrored part?

Mirrored parts contain a derived reference to the base part. The bolted connection generator will not work with two parts derived frothy same base part...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 4 of 7

Ahaaa! Thank you Paul! I had read something about that but wasn't quite sure what it meant. I will try to create a mirror part so that I can use the bolted connection generator. I'll let you know how I get on.

HAPPY NEW YEAR Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 7

OK! I checked out mirroring parts but unfortunately it seems to have to be done within the same part as the original.. I didn't quite grasp the concept. So, instead, I saved my original part file as a second part file and imported that one into my assembly along with the original and did some magic. All worked out well. I have a lot to learn with this software but so far this will do.

Thanks again Paul.

Message 6 of 7

Grreat stuss Alexandre!

Just remember that the two parts are no longer linked. If you need to make a change in one, you'll need to make the same change in the other...

Your other options to solve this would be:

To model as two completly separtae parts from the start (with the same issue as above)

To use a 'design' model, with each end modelled seperatly, and then dervie out both parts (more work, but more stable).

It depends on how much flexibility you want, and how much parametric control you want...

Sometimes, it's just easier to model the holes in a design part, and then insert the bolts using the design centre...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 7 of 7
RobJV
in reply to: alexandrenarten

As you have found out, since it is the same or mirrored part, the bolted connection generator will not make holes in the second instance of your part as it cannot reconcile the parts.  Imagine if you had rotated one of the parts by say 30 degrees.  You would end up with holes that would not be used on one of the parts as it would try to create a different set of holes on the same parts (impossible) - maybe more confusing and I should just leave alone. 

Anyways, to avoid these problems altogether, my experience has told me to make the holes in your parts beforehand and almost never let the generator create your holes.  You are just asking for trouble down the road.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report