Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Assemblies - Strategies and best techniques (for experts users)

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
pompeo79
750 Views, 7 Replies

Big Assemblies - Strategies and best techniques (for experts users)

Hi guys,

just a philosophical post!

Which strategies and best techniques do you suggest for a big assembly?

If you want inserting the pros and the cons too.

requirements:

-dimension assembly: large

- hurry level:  a lot, (as always)

-management: medium

-flexibility: medium

-release inv : 2013

Topd down/Bottom up?

Multibody technique  with derived parts?

Skeletal modeling?

Multibody with Skeletal modeling ( one ipt with the skeletal sketch, that control multibodies parts > derived parts)

Classical approach bottom up, with manual fixing  constraints

Others?

Thanks to all!

An examples of assembly:

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
IgorMir
in reply to: pompeo79

Well, that's quite an assembly indeed!

I would go with muscular approach (derive components, that's it). That's my favorite one anyway. There would be plenty of sub-assemblies, of course. In any case - no matter which option of modeling you will select - the strategy of modeling has to be thought out in depth first. And then adhered to it throughout the whole process.

I wouldn't mind to get involved in such a project myself!

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 8
pompeo79

Thanks Igor for your answer!

I doubt...what do you mean with muscolar approach/derived parts?

Multibody or skeleton ?

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 8
IgorMir

Multibody is OK for small assemblies. For large ones the parent part gets pretty complicated rather soon. That's my finding on it anyway.

In a nut shell - muscular technique is the one where you derive an existing part into a new file and use derived faces of that part to build off a new one. It is pretty visual and user friendly technique.

With the skeleton option you derive a master sketch into a new file and use this one as a foundation for the new part. For more info on both of them search the internet for such names as Kent Keller and Sean Dotson.

Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 8
pompeo79

Thank you Igor,

thanks again,

I think that muscolar =  skeletal modeling.

Do u have an  small example to of muscolar approach to put  here?

Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 8
CCarreiras

Hi!

Another question you have to pay attention is the sub-assemblys. Make sure the elements belong to correct sub assemblys. Next you can do "Representations views" and "Level of details" to manage your PC memory.

The Representations view will save memory in graphics card and level of details will save your ram and processor memorys "simply speaking", so, divide your main assembly in "independent as you can" sub assemblys wisely.

It's a good practice also transform that subassemblys in "Shinkwrap Substitutes", you will also gain some performance to work in such a big Assembly.

Good luck!

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
pompeo79
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thank you too Carlos.

Yes  i use rapp of detaila lot.

For the shrinkwarp.. do you mean create a shrinkwrap unique...or a shrinkwrap/level detail  for each main subassemblies, then in the main great assembly create a level of detail using the level of detail/shrinkwrap of each subassemblies naming it for example "LITE ASSEMBLY" ?

Message 8 of 8
CCarreiras

Hi!

Yes, you can do that, but be aware, the shinwrap substitutes are not associative, if you change the sub-assembly, you have to create another "shrinkwrap substitute".

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report