Inventor General

Valued Contributor
WORKSTATIONresearch
Message 1 of 37 (485 Views)

Best mouse for navigating large IV assemblies

485 Views, 36 Replies
04-27-2013 12:21 PM

Can anyone recommend a wireless mouse that is best for its navigating qualities within large IV assemblies?  Please keep the complexity to a minimum (no superfluous IV capabilities) while still maintaining important navigation qualities.

Distinguished Contributor
donovan.cox
Message 2 of 37 (476 Views)

Re: Best mouse for navigating large IV assemblies

04-27-2013 12:59 PM in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch
I'm using a Logitech M510 with a 3D connexion space navigator. Since I am usually on a laptop. If you're on a desktop I would suggest the Space Mouse Pro instead of the Navigator.
Valued Contributor
WORKSTATIONresearch
Message 3 of 37 (471 Views)

04-27-2013 01:56 PM in reply to: donovan.cox

Hi Donovan,

Thanks for your recommendation.  I've investigated the 3D Connection Space Pilot Pro.  It seems a good choice but I'm looking for a wireless device.  Amazon states that it is "wired".  All photos on the 3D Connection website indicate it is wireless, but do not so state.  I don't want a wired device because that makes an otherwise versatile device cumbersome.

If you or anyone that owns one of these can provide whether or not this is wired I will much apprecaite that.

If it turns out this is wired I will have to consider 3D Connection's representation as deceptive.  I've noticed that Logitech may have a competing model, but haven't looked into the details as yet.  If anyone is using an equivalent Logitech 3D mouse (wireless) can you please provide the model and whether you find it would meed my needs based on my original message?

There is one other issue for those who might be using the SpacePilot Pro.  It is pretty expensive, although I've found a price around $350 w/ s/h at a reputable vendor.  My experience with these devices is that they tend to wear out the bottom side from sliding over the surfaces they are used on.  Can anyone please respond on that issue?

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 4 of 37 (469 Views)

04-27-2013 01:57 PM in reply to: donovan.cox

I use a MX Revolution with a SpacePilot Pro at work, and at home the same mouse but with a SpacePilot. When on the road with my laptop a "Traveler".

The only way to go is with a 3dConnexion motion controler and any 2 or 3 button mouse.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
Valued Contributor
WORKSTATIONresearch
Message 5 of 37 (463 Views)

04-27-2013 02:11 PM in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

By the way, my interest in the Space Pilot Pro, based on my original message, doesn't indicate that I favor it at this point.  I've made no decision and usually start at the top and remove costly features that I can really do without as I continue to look into it.  Sometimes that way someone will offer what I'm looking for at a very low price (from a trustworthy source).  Many times that indicates the device is at the end of its manufacturing life and inventory is being discounted.

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 6 of 37 (458 Views)

04-27-2013 02:16 PM in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

They don't slide, in fact they have fairly sticky rubber feet to stop them from sliding. I have yet to see a wireless 3D motion controler from 3dconnxion. They are all wired to the USB port.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Win7-64
Valued Contributor
WORKSTATIONresearch
Message 7 of 37 (455 Views)

04-27-2013 02:20 PM in reply to: blair

You lost me on that one, Blair.  How/why can you use both together?  The Space Pilot Pro appears to have more than enough features within to make another device unnecessary.

If you've had the Space Pilot Pro for a number of years can you tell me if the underside is becoming worn to the point that it impacts its functionality?

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 8 of 37 (444 Views)

04-27-2013 03:10 PM in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

You use the mouse in your RH and the 3d motion controller in your LH (assuming you are Righ-Handed). The funny looking round puck device is like a joy-stick that allows you to rotate, pan, spin and zoom the item in your main work browser window.

Depending on your device, it may have buttons which can be programed for various commands. These button commands will change depending on which enviroment you are in, Sketch, IPT, IAM and IDW.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/what-is-a-3d-mouse.html

Win7-64
Distinguished Contributor
donovan.cox
Message 9 of 37 (435 Views)

04-27-2013 06:20 PM in reply to: blair
To expand on this, you're still using a mouse for pointing and selecting, the 3Dconnexion(3DX) device starts with rotation in or movement in any axis. As you move up the product line you can use the buttons on the 3DX device to call commands. You'll still need a keyboard for things like number entry though.
Valued Contributor
WORKSTATIONresearch
Message 10 of 37 (415 Views)

04-28-2013 01:52 PM in reply to: donovan.cox

So far it seems most are using a standard mouse along with the Space Pilot Pro.  If not using a standard mouse is any functionality lost for other purposes.  For example, if a text file is opened and you wish to move up and down a page, select text, etc., is it still possible with the Space Pilot Pro?  3D Connection shows an image with such things selectable as MS Outlook.  This seems to imply that Space Pilot Pro can do the same tasks as a mouse, and I understand the additional need for a keyboard.  On the other hand their images are deceptive because no cord is attached to any of their representations of their devices.  There must be some reason that all of you are using a mouse as well if you also are using the Space Pilot Pro.  Does, for example, the 3D Connection Navigator pick up debris and need to be taken apart and cleaned?  I’ve looked at the link showing how it is constructed.

I am trying to reduce clutter on the desktop, if possible, and that is the reason for the above questions, plus any complexity introduced by having 2 input devices (besides the keyboard).  It has also occurred that in an engineering department setting the cord helps discourage theft, and the Space Pilot Pro would be a candidate because of its cost thus making demand low for a wireless device.  Therefore I can understand that in a corporate environment it would be a tough sell to acquire the Space Pilot Pro when the Space Navigator is relatively inexpensive.  It does appear that it is constructed exactly the same when combined as an assembly into the Space Pilot Pro, possibly with a modified detector to reach the surface underneath.

On the other hand, it would seem that the patent rights to 3D Connection devices are running out (20 years).  Maybe that’s why there are no cords shown.  They (Logitech and its 3D Connection subsidiary) have shelved release of the cordless devices for that point in time when other companies will soon be providing competing devices at a much lower cost.  3D Connections website mentions introduction of its device in 1993.  It does look like actual construction and software is much less than $100 for 3D Connections most expensive input devices, probably in the under $10 range.  As 3D solutions become more widespread so, it would seem, would be demand for 3D input devices.  Would it be a surprise to anyone if someone other than Logitech were to provide 3D input devices?  Microsoft?  Apple?  An example of what might be one of many 3D input devices in the future is at the following link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mycestro/mycestrotm-the-next-generation-3d-mouse

The following link is a YouTube presentation of the SpaceMouse Pro used in conjunction with Google Earth, a widely used mapping program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIi1s1dNaCg

One criticism I have with all devices of this type, particularly keyboards, is that the characters printed on the keys tend to wear off after a few years.  Any comments on that issue would be appreciated relative to the Space Pilot Pro.  There used to be inlaid characters a long time ago for keyboards.  Now the bean counters have done away with them.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube