Inventor General

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 21 of 37 (197 Views)

Re: Best mouse for navigating large IV assemblies

04-29-2013 12:10 PM in reply to: JDMather
I use a fair number of buttons and have them programed them to my most common commands.

I've been using a 3D motion controller now since the late 90's. Don't know how I could work in Inventor without it.
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
*Expert Elite*
LT.Rusty
Message 22 of 37 (197 Views)

04-29-2013 12:12 PM in reply to: JDMather

Here's another vote for MX Revolution + SpacePilot.

I've got the Pro at work and the old SpacePilot at home. 

I don't use all the buttons, but I do use enough of them that it was worth the higher price to get them. 

The only time I touch my keyboard now, outside of the drawing environment, is when I need to manually enter a dimension.  As has been noted previously, the SpacePilot rapidly becomes an extension of your brain, and after you use it for a couple days, you will not want to work without it.  You may even be unable to work without it.  When I don't have one, it feels like I'm working with one hand and half my brain tied behind my back.

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013, 2014, 2015

Work: Dell Precision T1600 (Xeon E3-1280 / 16GB / 512 GB SSD / 250 GB (Internal) / 1 TB (External) / Quadro 600)
Home: i7-4770k / ASUS Z87-Pro / 16GB / 250 GB SSD / 1 TB HDD / 3 TB USB3 HDD / Radeon R9-270X 4GB
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P755-S5269 (i7-2630QM / 8 GB / 250 GB SSD / 750 GB HDD / GT540M)

Distinguished Mentor
swhite
Message 23 of 37 (184 Views)

04-29-2013 12:47 PM in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

I got the small two button one, and dont think I ever touched the buttons, but I have always used the keyboard shortcuts for almost every command, so to me just using it for navigation in the model is all I need.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Valued Contributor
WORKSTATIONresearch
Message 24 of 37 (171 Views)

04-29-2013 02:40 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

“...One thing you seem to be a little confused on is that the 3D Connexion devices do not replace a mouse.  They are designed to be used in conjunction with a mouse, in the opposite hand.  You actually can't use the 3D device by itself, as it is designed to move views on the screen, not to move the cursor or actually select anything. ...”

Thanks for your comments, John.  I was a little surprised that no one followed the previous link, pasted here again:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mycestro/mycestrotm-the-next-generation-3d-mouse

The Mycestro inventor, in addition to providing 3D view access, claims it will replace the mouse.  (I’m left-handed, also, by the way.)

I can understand withholding opinion because it’s one thing to produce a web page making product claims, and quite another to have reviews by those outside of the control of the manufacturer.  As stated above, this device takes the place of a mouse as well, since it can, for example, select text within a text document as the keyboard can be accessed with the device attached to the index finger.  A number of other websites have taken notice of this new device and have commented on it.

As stated, this Mycestro appears to be far less expensive ($80 MSRP) than any of the 3D Connection products, and it is wireless.  It does look like the profit margin on this will be tremendous, so the $80 figure seems quite high.  Granted, it isn’t available as yet, but its simplicity indicates it should be some time this year, which will result in a lot of 3D Connection products gathering dust on desktops everywhere since the added functionality of mouse replacement should avoid bean counter reticence in providing the Mycestro.  Stated within the website is delivery in the October-November 2013 timeframe.

The only downside I can see in all these devices that transmit through the RF spectrum is possible health concerns.

Distinguished Mentor
swhite
Message 25 of 37 (165 Views)

04-29-2013 02:47 PM in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

I checked he Mycestro out and posted a link in one of m previous posts, seems it may be available now, but some arn't happy with it. Of course as with all new technology the bugs must be worked out and then there is always the learning curve. Some don't like having to learn new ways and so drop products that force them to think outside the box. I think the idea is great, but like you said, what looks like it would work great for some things, may not work at all for your workflow in another program. Long as they include drivers for inventor I may try it out after the 2nd release maybe.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
LT.Rusty
Message 26 of 37 (164 Views)

04-29-2013 02:49 PM in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

That Mycestro thing is a mouse replacement, pure and simple.  The functions that he's describing with respect to rotating a 3D model are nothing more than mapping a gesture to the mouse axis combined with a button action.

This is not what a 3DConnexion device does.

You need to actually try a SpacePilot of some flavor.  All the descriptions we could give you don't seem to be sinking in.  You don't appear to really understand the difference.

Also, why are you so hung up on wireless?  Wireless is not really a great way to go, if you can avoid it.  Sure, there's less clutter on your desk, but you also have to replace batteries, you're subject to RF interference from cell phones, poorly shielded speakers, fan motors, air conditioners, or anything else that might crop up.  The refresh rate on a wireless device is much lower than for corded devices as well, which means poorer response time and commands stacking up or simply not getting through.  If Logitech had made the MX Rev corded rather than wireless, I'd like it a lot better.

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013, 2014, 2015

Work: Dell Precision T1600 (Xeon E3-1280 / 16GB / 512 GB SSD / 250 GB (Internal) / 1 TB (External) / Quadro 600)
Home: i7-4770k / ASUS Z87-Pro / 16GB / 250 GB SSD / 1 TB HDD / 3 TB USB3 HDD / Radeon R9-270X 4GB
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P755-S5269 (i7-2630QM / 8 GB / 250 GB SSD / 750 GB HDD / GT540M)

*Expert Elite*
jtylerbc
Message 27 of 37 (158 Views)

04-29-2013 03:05 PM in reply to: LT.Rusty

I agree - there are, in my opinion, BENEFITS to having these functions as two seperate devices.  While occasional users (or those that have to travel with the devices) may get some usefullness out of consolidating them, for me the fact that the mouse and the 3D device are seperate is a good thing.  It helps to equalize hand and wrist strain, because one hand isn't doing all the work.

Also, while I love using a wireless mouse (I hate cords, they are my mortal enemy), a cord on a 3D navigation device presents no real problems, because the device doesn't move around like a mouse when you're using it.  At most, it's an annoyance running the cord when initially setting up, but after that, it doesn't cause any trouble.

John Tyler
Inventor 2013
Windows 7 64 Bit
Valued Contributor
WORKSTATIONresearch
Message 28 of 37 (150 Views)

04-29-2013 03:34 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks Blair.  That was a really great link to explain functionality of 3D Connection products with Inventor.  I wish I had accessed it sooner.

Valued Contributor
WORKSTATIONresearch
Message 29 of 37 (147 Views)

04-29-2013 03:53 PM in reply to: swhite

Hi S. White,

I also looked at this previously.   The demo is a bit deceptive because it doesn't also show a mouse being used in conjuction, but it is mentioned in a brief way easily missed.

By the way the Navigator seems to be cordless.  It must be battery powered because it emits a bluish light at the base of the control knob.  I wonder how long the battery is good for until a recharge is needed.  Someone pointed out that the Mycestro needs to be recharged, which is problematical.  It does have a mini-USB port for charging, which maybe can be done while it is being used.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 30 of 37 (131 Views)

04-29-2013 05:18 PM in reply to: WORKSTATIONresearch

WORKSTATIONresearch wrote:

...  It must be battery powered because it emits a bluish light at the base of the control knob.  ...

I don't follow the logic? Bluish light means battery powered?
Mine is not wireless.

Students can get at a reduced price (only difference is no telephone support, but their free web support is very good).

http://www.journeyed.com/item/3Dconnexion/SpaceNavigator/40736426

http://www.journeyed.com/product/search?srch_cat=&qk_srch=3dconnexion

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube