Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best mouse for navigating large IV assemblies

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
WORKSTATIONresearch
1277 Views, 36 Replies

Best mouse for navigating large IV assemblies

Can anyone recommend a wireless mouse that is best for its navigating qualities within large IV assemblies?  Please keep the complexity to a minimum (no superfluous IV capabilities) while still maintaining important navigation qualities.

36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37
blair
in reply to: JDMather

I use a fair number of buttons and have them programed them to my most common commands.

I've been using a 3D motion controller now since the late 90's. Don't know how I could work in Inventor without it.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 22 of 37
LT.Rusty

Here's another vote for MX Revolution + SpacePilot.

I've got the Pro at work and the old SpacePilot at home. 

I don't use all the buttons, but I do use enough of them that it was worth the higher price to get them. 

The only time I touch my keyboard now, outside of the drawing environment, is when I need to manually enter a dimension.  As has been noted previously, the SpacePilot rapidly becomes an extension of your brain, and after you use it for a couple days, you will not want to work without it.  You may even be unable to work without it.  When I don't have one, it feels like I'm working with one hand and half my brain tied behind my back.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 23 of 37

I got the small two button one, and dont think I ever touched the buttons, but I have always used the keyboard shortcuts for almost every command, so to me just using it for navigation in the model is all I need.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 24 of 37

“...One thing you seem to be a little confused on is that the 3D Connexion devices do not replace a mouse.  They are designed to be used in conjunction with a mouse, in the opposite hand.  You actually can't use the 3D device by itself, as it is designed to move views on the screen, not to move the cursor or actually select anything. ...”

Thanks for your comments, John.  I was a little surprised that no one followed the previous link, pasted here again:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mycestro/mycestrotm-the-next-generation-3d-mouse

The Mycestro inventor, in addition to providing 3D view access, claims it will replace the mouse.  (I’m left-handed, also, by the way.)

I can understand withholding opinion because it’s one thing to produce a web page making product claims, and quite another to have reviews by those outside of the control of the manufacturer.  As stated above, this device takes the place of a mouse as well, since it can, for example, select text within a text document as the keyboard can be accessed with the device attached to the index finger.  A number of other websites have taken notice of this new device and have commented on it.

As stated, this Mycestro appears to be far less expensive ($80 MSRP) than any of the 3D Connection products, and it is wireless.  It does look like the profit margin on this will be tremendous, so the $80 figure seems quite high.  Granted, it isn’t available as yet, but its simplicity indicates it should be some time this year, which will result in a lot of 3D Connection products gathering dust on desktops everywhere since the added functionality of mouse replacement should avoid bean counter reticence in providing the Mycestro.  Stated within the website is delivery in the October-November 2013 timeframe.

The only downside I can see in all these devices that transmit through the RF spectrum is possible health concerns.

Message 25 of 37

I checked he Mycestro out and posted a link in one of m previous posts, seems it may be available now, but some arn't happy with it. Of course as with all new technology the bugs must be worked out and then there is always the learning curve. Some don't like having to learn new ways and so drop products that force them to think outside the box. I think the idea is great, but like you said, what looks like it would work great for some things, may not work at all for your workflow in another program. Long as they include drivers for inventor I may try it out after the 2nd release maybe.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 26 of 37

That Mycestro thing is a mouse replacement, pure and simple.  The functions that he's describing with respect to rotating a 3D model are nothing more than mapping a gesture to the mouse axis combined with a button action.

This is not what a 3DConnexion device does.

You need to actually try a SpacePilot of some flavor.  All the descriptions we could give you don't seem to be sinking in.  You don't appear to really understand the difference.

Also, why are you so hung up on wireless?  Wireless is not really a great way to go, if you can avoid it.  Sure, there's less clutter on your desk, but you also have to replace batteries, you're subject to RF interference from cell phones, poorly shielded speakers, fan motors, air conditioners, or anything else that might crop up.  The refresh rate on a wireless device is much lower than for corded devices as well, which means poorer response time and commands stacking up or simply not getting through.  If Logitech had made the MX Rev corded rather than wireless, I'd like it a lot better.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 27 of 37
jtylerbc
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I agree - there are, in my opinion, BENEFITS to having these functions as two seperate devices.  While occasional users (or those that have to travel with the devices) may get some usefullness out of consolidating them, for me the fact that the mouse and the 3D device are seperate is a good thing.  It helps to equalize hand and wrist strain, because one hand isn't doing all the work.

Also, while I love using a wireless mouse (I hate cords, they are my mortal enemy), a cord on a 3D navigation device presents no real problems, because the device doesn't move around like a mouse when you're using it.  At most, it's an annoyance running the cord when initially setting up, but after that, it doesn't cause any trouble.

Message 28 of 37

Thanks Blair.  That was a really great link to explain functionality of 3D Connection products with Inventor.  I wish I had accessed it sooner.

Message 29 of 37

Hi S. White,

I also looked at this previously.   The demo is a bit deceptive because it doesn't also show a mouse being used in conjuction, but it is mentioned in a brief way easily missed.

By the way the Navigator seems to be cordless.  It must be battery powered because it emits a bluish light at the base of the control knob.  I wonder how long the battery is good for until a recharge is needed.  Someone pointed out that the Mycestro needs to be recharged, which is problematical.  It does have a mini-USB port for charging, which maybe can be done while it is being used.

Message 30 of 37

@WORKSTATIONresearch wrote:

...  It must be battery powered because it emits a bluish light at the base of the control knob.  ...

I don't follow the logic? Bluish light means battery powered?
Mine is not wireless.

Students can get at a reduced price (only difference is no telephone support, but their free web support is very good).

http://www.journeyed.com/item/3Dconnexion/SpaceNavigator/40736426

http://www.journeyed.com/product/search?srch_cat=&qk_srch=3dconnexion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 31 of 37
blair

You may want to check the technical spec's, all of the 3dConnexion products show USB connection.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 32 of 37
WORKSTATIONresearch
in reply to: blair

It looks like I misinterpreted 3D Connection’s representation of the Space Navigator.  It is simply a puck-like device that provides the ability to manipulate 3D images.  At least in the way 3D Connections represented it there was no data cord shown.  Please notice the blue ring at the midpoint of the Navigator.  It seems to glow, so I had assumed it had an LED and a button size battery to provide enough power to send data to the graphics card.

The specifications are very unclear about how this device is powered.  It would be a lot less confusing if 3D Connection would provide enough information to those with interest in their products.

I did come to understand that a cord is part of the Space Navigator, but no thanks to 3D Connection.  An interested user put a YouTube demo on the Internet that shows the cord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKBYFtO2X4w

I was asked if all my questions had been answered, which evidently they were not, and so this is a final post.  I do have great interest in this so please excuse my lack of familiarity which could be reduced by better representations by 3D Connection on how their devices work.  I have looked at all the videos available so far and it appears the issue of corded/uncorded is hidden for marketing reasons.  I did direct a question about data cords to 3D Connections and their answer was that all of their devices have data cords “at this time”, though I’ve NEVER seen an image of a Space Navigator with an attached cord on their website, but then none of their products specify there is a data cord.

All of our devices are currently USB Wired cable.

We donot have any wireless devices at this time.”

The specs for the Space Pilot Pro list the following:

Minimum System Requirements

• Windows XP Professional SP2 (x86), Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
  • Windows Vista (all editions)
  • Windows 7 (all editions)
  • Linux Redhat Enterprise WS 4, SuSE Linux 9.3
  • Sun Solaris 8 (SPARC), Sun Solaris 10 (x64)
  • Microsoft® Outlook® 2003 or later required on host PC for accessing email, tasks and calendar information on LCD.
  • USB port

I missed this previously.  It could mean a USB requirement to plug in a data pickup device using RF frequency however suggested by no images showing data cords.

So far all have firmly stated that their products only operate in conjunction with a mouse.  I believe that a further development effort on the part of 3D Connections should make an additional mouse unnecessary, but that’s just me, so I’ll subordinate my opinions to those who have used these devices and answered this topic for now.  I happen to have an Apple iPod shuffle that is charged via USB with a small integrated battery which can produce music for more than 8 hours, so I don’t find producing a wireless device to be an insurmountable technical achievement.  By taking the time to evaluate these products it looks like the Space Navigator is the better choice rather than those devices with all the bells and whistles since the objective is to reduce  time to completion.

Message 33 of 37

My reply was to JD Mather, not Blair.

Message 34 of 37

The blue LEDs are driven by power from the USB port. The screen on the more advanced model is driven by power from the USB port.

I don't know how I would use the functionality provided if it wasn't 2-handed.
The basic idea is that I am now working 2-handed.  Manipulation of the model with one hand and selection of program function tools simultaneously with the other hand.  Ambidextrious effort.  Half the wrist motion moved to the other hand.  Less repetitive stress.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 35 of 37

All of them have blue lights to let you know they are wiorking and I also suspect just to be pretty.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 36 of 37
riff62
in reply to: blair

Just throwing my hat in the ring here..

I have a MX Revolution Mouse,Wireless Keyboard, a Space Pilot,, and a Razer Nostromo..

The Keyboard could be replaced by the Nostromo theoretically, as well as the mouse to some degree, I suppose, although admittedly, I got the Nostromo as a gift, hooked it up, and havent really played with it much. I do once in awhile, but havent found i was comfortable enough with it to be productive. When I get time, I will have to slog through the programming of the keys, etc, and see how it works with Inventor.There are alot of ways you could program each of the 18 or so buttons, but there is a learning curve getting used to what you have programmed. Its was developed for gaming so I am not sure how it will work for IV. Some have used it with AutoCAD, and like it alot.

I dont use any of the keys on the Space Pilot except for "Fit" to get my model back on the screen after it shoots off into space or something, etc. I have tried getting used to using the keys, but just havent been able to do it. Using the Space Pilot, mouse, keyboard combo has worked out the best for me.

I have used Space Pilot for awhile now and find it impossible to work without one. I have one at home as well that I use with my laptop, along with a wireless mouse. It really does increase your productivity, and is useful for other programs as someone mentioned.

The Space Navigator  is good for traveling, etc, isnt too big. (Try lugging around a Space Pilot..lol). Also, if memory serves, the Navigator has a weighted base so it doesnt move around when you are using it. The USB cord makes it a great weapon when you feel like bouncing something hard off of an annoying coworker's head. The cord allows you to really wind up before throwing , as well as retrieve it and try again if you happen to miss the frist time.

Message 37 of 37
LT.Rusty
in reply to: riff62

@riff62 wrote:

Just throwing my hat in the ring here..

I have a MX Revolution Mouse,Wireless Keyboard, a Space Pilot,, and a Razer Nostromo..

The Keyboard could be replaced by the Nostromo theoretically, as well as the mouse to some degree, I suppose, although admittedly, I got the Nostromo as a gift, hooked it up, and havent really played with it much. I do once in awhile, but havent found i was comfortable enough with it to be productive. When I get time, I will have to slog through the programming of the keys, etc, and see how it works with Inventor.There are alot of ways you could program each of the 18 or so buttons, but there is a learning curve getting used to what you have programmed. Its was developed for gaming so I am not sure how it will work for IV. Some have used it with AutoCAD, and like it alot.

I dont use any of the keys on the Space Pilot except for "Fit" to get my model back on the screen after it shoots off into space or something, etc. I have tried getting used to using the keys, but just havent been able to do it. Using the Space Pilot, mouse, keyboard combo has worked out the best for me.

I have used Space Pilot for awhile now and find it impossible to work without one. I have one at home as well that I use with my laptop, along with a wireless mouse. It really does increase your productivity, and is useful for other programs as someone mentioned.

The Space Navigator  is good for traveling, etc, isnt too big. (Try lugging around a Space Pilot..lol). Also, if memory serves, the Navigator has a weighted base so it doesnt move around when you are using it. The USB cord makes it a great weapon when you feel like bouncing something hard off of an annoying coworker's head. The cord allows you to really wind up before throwing , as well as retrieve it and try again if you happen to miss the frist time.

Give the function keys on that Nostromo another look, at least for use in the drawing environment.

I've got a Razer keyboard, and I've got macros programmed for a bunch of the common notes that I use in the drawing environment.  Unfortunately I don't have a separate bank of keys like I had on my old G15, or like you've got on the Nostromo, but right now I've got F1-F5 programmed for SYM, REF, TYP, ° & Ø, respectively.  There's a bunch of others that I'd put in there if I had all the extra keys still.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report