Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best frame generator practices

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rmerlob
475 Views, 5 Replies

Best frame generator practices

Hi, I want to create a structure using the attached part geometry, what would be the best way to make the crosses coincident with the two long columns? (just like the 2 at the top but without having to manually trim each line, if it could be constrained to variable parameters even better)

The structure has the same geometry on all four sides so i intend to circular patern the frame generator components around the Z axis, any tips/ideas on better workflows?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cadull_rb
in reply to: rmerlob

You may like to consider using iCopy - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-YtYo_gpjs for example.

Message 3 of 6
rmerlob

Thank you,

Should I pattern frame components from the frame subassembly? Or is this not recommended, the reason Im asking is because that leaves no way to edit the component without deleting the pattern first.

I think i might be missing something.

Message 4 of 6
rmerlob
in reply to: cadull_rb

I think that, in the simplest form my question has always been:

What is the best way to handle symmetry and repetiveness in frame generator?

I mean should I be mirroring/patterning:

-Components?

-Sketch geometry?

-Planes and then projecting sketch geometry? (so i can have a line for each member?

I know  this might be situational but what are the most common practices, as another example:

How can i mirrror/pattern this frame so its the same on all four sides? Hopefully any end treatments done before the frame will repeat too and i should be able to change frame member sizes and also add new end treatments after the mirror/patterning.

Hope JDMather will give this a shot too.

PS: i know this is simple and i should prolly just draw all the lines but i dont want to.

Message 5 of 6
invapp

It's easy to make the frame with programming, but don't know how to do the end treatments.

Message 6 of 6
JunjieZhao

Hi, please have a look at the attached files, is it the result you expect? 

I was just trying to use the iCopy tools to create the pattern skeletons. In this case, it may need 4 iCopy features to apply the same geometry on all 4 sides. After that, select all the sketch lines to create the FG members.

I'd like to listen to any other practice

Thanks & Regards,

Junjie(Henry) Zhao
Quality Assurance - Suite
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report