Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best dual core CPU

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
stephengibson76
696 Views, 6 Replies

Best dual core CPU

You would think this would be an easy google search but it appears not...

Whats the fastest dual core CPU for Inventor?

eg would an i5-2390T@2.7 really be 20% faster than an i5-680@3.6? as some of the benchmarks suggest

is it worth looking at server processors so I can fill up lots of ram slots with smaller more ecenomical ram?

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cnoj
in reply to: stephengibson76

If you mean buying a complete server 'machine' instead of a workstation I'd guess it's a bad idea. Maybe more ram slots but you'd have to pay $$$s for graphics upgrade.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 3 of 7

Good question. I don't think there is a Inventor specific benchmark. Maybe this site will help.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 4 of 7

thanks, thats where I got the i5-2390T against i5-680 comparrison.  It looks like the 2390T is the best dual core on this test

Stephen Gibson

Message 5 of 7
mcgyvr

make sure you are looking at a chart with the "per core" speed. And you are aware that 2012 supports multicores in the idw environment now right? and I'd expect modeling areas to follow (hopefully shortly)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 7
stephengibson76
in reply to: mcgyvr

I knew 2012 supports multi core for SOME idw functions but testing my current slower quad core against another faster dual core, the dual core still performs better in the drawing enviroment.

(specs from the top of my head, q6600 @2.4 against dual core @ 3.4 or 3.6)

I was under the impression that they need to re-write the program from the bottom up to include multi core functionallity in the modelling enviroment which is why none of the parametric modellers have taken the plunge.  I thought this was years off, so the ROI on an expensive multicore processor would be poor.

I would really like some solid information about this, I dont have much time to investigate fully and may be wrong

Stephen Gibson

Message 7 of 7
LorenJ

Autodesk still does hardawre testing for Inventor. The last time I checked, the top three were 1) HP XW400, 2) XW600, and 3) XW800. The XW400 beat systems with better specs because it had the highest clock speed.

LorenJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report