Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bent Tube centerline radius

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
GeoffP
2709 Views, 13 Replies

Bent Tube centerline radius

I work a lot with bent pipe and tubing. Most of our bending dies are called out by centerline radius. When I create a centerline bisector on a radius the centerline extends farther than I want it to and cannot make it smaller. Is there anyway to make it smaller.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: GeoffP

I think you can make it smaller by changing the Centerline settings in
the styles editor. Try making "D" the extension smaller...

GeoffP wrote:
> I work a lot with bent pipe and tubing. Most of our bending dies are called out by centerline radius. When I create a centerline bisector on a radius the centerline extends farther than I want it to and cannot make it smaller. Is there anyway to make it smaller.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

After you create the view, find the view instance in the browser and expand the folder until you reach the part features. Locate the sketch under the sweep feature and RMC on the sketch and select "include". This will give you the entire centerline of the tube based on the sketch used to create it.

Deano
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Hi Geoff,

Just in case your problem isn't completely addressed by any of the above
reply's I'd like to give you an idea of how I adjust the overshoot of my
centerlines for holes and the like.

-Place a centerline in the drawing and RMC the CL... Select "Edit Center
Mark Style"
-In the window that pops up you'll see places to enter values for different
parts of the centermark, including the CL overshoot (Dim C). Enter whatever
value suits your personal taste.

Good luck,

Michael Thornton

wrote in message news:5572824@discussion.autodesk.com...
I work a lot with bent pipe and tubing. Most of our bending dies are called
out by centerline radius. When I create a centerline bisector on a radius
the centerline extends farther than I want it to and cannot make it smaller.
Is there anyway to make it smaller.
Message 5 of 14
tedbeauchamp

I am having the same problem, Changing either C overshoot or D extension affects the circle center marks but not the radial bisectors. I want the radial bisectors to be 90 degrees, not extend past the quadrant. Changing the default radius also does not seem ot make any difference. Autodesk needs to add an angle control feature.

Any other suggestions.

Also I have one draing that will not let me put bisector centerlines on any of the radius of a groove except one. All the others either give me no centerline, or I get a straight line at a 90 or 45 degree angle to the groove radius.

Message 6 of 14
D_Beezhold
in reply to: tedbeauchamp

My company does quite a bit of hydraulic tubelines and we had the same problem. Originally all our part files were made by sweeping 1 or more 2D sketches. What I found was using 3D sketches and including them in our .idw's provided a nice continuous centerline. I've found on more coplicated tubes to use multiple 2D sketches and "trace" them with a 3D sketch for my sweep path. Attached are 2 simple examples, one using 2d sketches to control my 3D sketch and one with just a simple 3D sketch.

You can include these 3D sketches in an .idw view by drilling down in the browser tree and looking under the model. RMB click on the sketch and "include", you also have the abiliity to RMB click on the included sketch and allow resizing if you want to drag you CL's longer.

Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 14
DICKASAP
in reply to: D_Beezhold

None of those solutions work when you use an ipart to draw elbows (like for ducting) iparts come in as derived parts so therefore there are no sketches to use as a centerline. Autodesk needs to fix this bisecting centerline problem, it has been an issue from the first release and still is a problem today!

Message 8 of 14
tedbeauchamp
in reply to: Anonymous

{quote}After you create the view, find the view instance in the browser and expand the folder until you reach the part features. Locate the sketch under the sweep feature and RMC on the sketch and select "include". This will give you the entire centerline of the tube based on the sketch used to create it.

Deano{quote}

This is the method I have been using with rectangular grooves (oring face seals) but apparently Autodesk in their {Sarcasm on} infinity wisdom {Sarcasm off} has done away with the include option in release 2015 of inventor.

They didn't bother to fix the radius centerline, just removed the only method to make them display properly.

Anyone have a fix for this now in 2015?

Ted

Message 9 of 14
JDMather

@tedbeauchamp wrote:

.... has done away with the include option in release 2015 of inventor.

Ted

I am not aware of any difference.

Can you attach the files here that exhibit this behavior?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 14
tedbeauchamp
in reply to: JDMather

not sure if all the files are attached but the doc file shows the difference in the ability to include the sweep path in an IDW

Message 11 of 14
JDMather

I do not see any Inventor files attached?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 12 of 14

You have to right click on the part in the browser, and select "Get Model Sketches" first, then you can expand the sweep to see the sketch.

Message 13 of 14
bryan.irey
in reply to: DICKASAP

All of these suggestions are work a rounds to an issue that amazingly has never been addressed in over 20 years, when placing a center line that bisects two arcs it should not extend past the ends of the  arcs themselves. This makes piping drawings with elbows, sweeps, whatever the method of creation look horrible.

Message 14 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: bryan.irey

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/idb-p/v1232

also

here

http://beta.autodesk.com

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/inventor-feedback-beta-project-how-do-i-get-access/td-...

I think there might be a JDI (Just Do It) effort in progress to address some of these type of things.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report