Inventor General

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 1 of 4 (185 Views)

Bending shape around a die

185 Views, 3 Replies
10-17-2012 09:02 AM

I have a part that we are looking at manufacturing.  The part will be formed by bending the part to a specified radius. Basically bending the part around a die.  I am trying to figure what force will be required to create this bend.  Is there a way to get an idea of this force from Inventor? I know that there will be spring back, but I am not really concerned with that right now.

I am sure that Simulation would show the part being formed, but I am looking for the force also.

Maybe its not possible, idk.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1
Vault 2013

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 2 of 4 (168 Views)

Re: Bending shape around a die

10-17-2012 10:18 AM in reply to: karthur1

Who needs an Engineer when you have FEA and online calculators.. oh wait.. :smileyhappy:

http://www.custompartnet.com/calculator/sheet-metal

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 3 of 4 (157 Views)

10-17-2012 11:46 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

I have a chart I can go by for flat plate.... but this site is pretty neat.  The shape that I am trying to figure out is a Tapered hollow octagon.... something like this.  "I" varies down the length.

Tapered Oct.jpg

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 4 of 4 (131 Views)

10-17-2012 01:49 PM in reply to: karthur1

I ended up calculating it by using the max stress on a cantilevered beam (W*l / Z).  For the "Z", I used the formula in the Mach HB.  I think that got me in the ballpark anyway.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube