Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bending shape around a die

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
karthur1
310 Views, 3 Replies

Bending shape around a die

I have a part that we are looking at manufacturing.  The part will be formed by bending the part to a specified radius. Basically bending the part around a die.  I am trying to figure what force will be required to create this bend.  Is there a way to get an idea of this force from Inventor? I know that there will be spring back, but I am not really concerned with that right now.

I am sure that Simulation would show the part being formed, but I am looking for the force also.

Maybe its not possible, idk.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1
Vault 2013

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: karthur1

Who needs an Engineer when you have FEA and online calculators.. oh wait.. 🙂

http://www.custompartnet.com/calculator/sheet-metal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
karthur1
in reply to: mcgyvr

I have a chart I can go by for flat plate.... but this site is pretty neat.  The shape that I am trying to figure out is a Tapered hollow octagon.... something like this.  "I" varies down the length.

Tapered Oct.jpg

Message 4 of 4
karthur1
in reply to: karthur1

I ended up calculating it by using the max stress on a cantilevered beam (W*l / Z).  For the "Z", I used the formula in the Mach HB.  I think that got me in the ballpark anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report