Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam/colmn Calculotor: Changing the angle of a distributed load

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
vogelzmr
860 Views, 5 Replies

Beam/colmn Calculotor: Changing the angle of a distributed load

I am using beam/column calculator in the frame generator in inventor 2010 suite.

I have a beam being used for a flight of stairs it is positioned 40 deg above the 'floor' or my xy plane in my assembly.

I want to place a distributed load acting as if there were several people stading on the stairs at one time so in the direction of the z axis of my assembly.

The problem I am having is I try to change the angle of the distributed load but it only allows me to change the x and y components of the load. You can see this in the screenshots i took.  

Is there a way I can:

a) change the angle of the laod in the Z directions

or

b) change the cordinates in beam itself so the x axis is along the length of the beam instead of the z axis.

I have tried adding a UCS to the beam part but it still wants to choose the length of the beam as the z axis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cwhetten
in reply to: vogelzmr

I'm not sure what all of the options are in the beam calculator, but you could do this by splitting your load into a Y component and an axial load component (Z component).  So in effect, you will have two loads applied.  One for the vertical Y component of the total load, and an axial load for the Z component.  Does that make sense?

Message 3 of 6
blair

Select/Check the Vector box in the Load dialogue box. You can then enter in your load vectors, or create a work axis and use it for load direction. I believe you can even use a Work-Axis to define the load direction (still need to "Check") the vector box.

Sorry, I was thinking of either analysis in model or frame-gen.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6
vogelzmr
in reply to: blair

There is no vector box to 'check' i think that is a feature of the stress analysis found in the 2010 pro version, which i unfortunately do not have. I am using the beam/column calculator found in the frame generator feature of the 2010 suite version.

Message 5 of 6
vogelzmr
in reply to: cwhetten

This will work, i just was hoping to avoid breaking up my applied load into axial and shearing loads, i know that is lazy of me, thanks for the help!

Matt

Message 6 of 6
jdkriek

Good information, thanks for sharing.

Jonathan D. Kriek
MFG Solutions Engineer
KETIV Technologies, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report