Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam and Column Calculator not finding Wx, Wy, Wk and Jk Values

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
karthur1
1578 Views, 3 Replies

Beam and Column Calculator not finding Wx, Wy, Wk and Jk Values

Wanted to do a analysis on a beam in my assembly.  Started the Beam and Column calculator...then picked the beam.  When I do this, if fills in "most" of the properties for my shape, but all of them.  Missing Wx, Wy, Wk and Jk.  The missing ones are all "0.000".  Of course, when I hit calculate, Inventor complains that it cant find the missing values.

2013-02-12_1631.png

Question

1. Why does Inventor not calculate these values for my section that I picked?  If I calculated these values, is there a place that I can put them in my part so I wouldnt have to re-enter them everytime... Custom properties maybe?

2. Why are these values even needed to do the calculations?

3. Will Autodesk EVER fix this?  I found several threads where people ran into this, so its a pretty common problem. Here, here and an old one of mine from 2011 here... Why can't/won't somebody step up and fix this problem?

Is this what we pay subscription for?... Sorry, its bn a long day.....Frustrating is not the word.

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1 (update1)
Vault Basic 2013

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
HarryP108
in reply to: karthur1

This has been happening to me for such a long time - with AS (Australian Standard) sections. Very frustrating. If I want to do a quick hand calc to find bending moment on a member I don't even need to know Wk and Jk, so don't know why this is critical to the calculation anyways (Wk and Jk are the two that it misses for me).

A fix or even a response to this would be nice.

Must be in one of those too hard baskets...

Regards.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
Message 3 of 4
karthur1
in reply to: HarryP108

Paul,

This problem was moved into subscription support (case 08074775). After a bunch of going back and fourth, the tech that worked this case just suggested that rather than picking the part, I should use the Beam and column calculator.

From the model tab, pick the section drop-down and then fill in the values for the shape of the beam.

2013-05-31_0742.png

The case was closed and the tech said that he would send this to development as a "wish list" item.

Not really what I wanted to hear.  I guess there is hope that maybe someday, they will get it right.... but I wouldnt bet on it.  I think you should be able to pick the item that you want to run the analysis on and then Inventor should do it. I have been doing these calcs by hand longer than Inventor has been around and I have NEVER used these W and J values in a calc. I couldnt find a formula that used these values either.

Kirk

Message 4 of 4
MikeOG
in reply to: karthur1

One decade later and this problem still hasn't been fixed. Trying to do a frame analysis and  Torsional Section Modulus (Wk) and Torsional Rigidity Modulus (Jk) columns are missing from the content centre. Equal angle has these columns added for the AS standard, but not for RHS. Please look into this Autodesk.

MikeOG_1-1691703452021.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report