Inventor General

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 1 of 4 (1,566 Views)
Accepted Solution

Batch IDW to DWG conversion

1566 Views, 3 Replies
11-01-2012 01:36 PM

I have about 500+ idws that has to be converted to dwg.  No problem I thought... just use the task scheduler and create a task (Convert IDW to DWG) to do it.

That works.... but there is a small problem.  The DWG that it saves has the data in paper space.  Of coarse, the customer requires it to be in Model Space.

Is there a way to do this with the Task Scheduler?  or someother way, short of manually opening/saving each idw.

I don't own KwikBatch Runx64 and was hoping we could do this without purchasing something else.

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1
Vault 2013

Valued Mentor
rhasell
Message 2 of 4 (1,560 Views)

Re: Batch IDW to DWG conversion

11-01-2012 04:10 PM in reply to: karthur1

Hi

Yes there is.

Export one file from inventor, setup your export configuration, and save it. This is trial and error to get the best configuration for your company.

Tip: Edit the Standard.dwg template for any additional feautures, eg: Switching off layers etc.

When you go to task scheduler, select the configuration file you created in the above step.

Use a file manager to bulk re-name all the files from *.idw.dwg to *.dwg. (Total Commander works well.)

Screen dumps:

Export from Inventor, I have already pre-selected my config file.

export-1.JPG

The following config will export to model space:

export-2.JPG

The task manager, using the Export config file:

export-4.JPG

Hope this is of some use to you.

Reg
Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2014 SP1-Update 2 Build 222
Intel Core i7 (950@3.07GHz)/Win7x64 (Home) - 12GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Please accept as a solution if it fixes your problem.
*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 3 of 4 (1,553 Views)

11-01-2012 05:44 PM in reply to: rhasell

One interesting point that I didnt realize..... To convert the IDW to DWG, do NOT use the "convert IDW to DWG" task.  Instead you have to use the "Export Files" task.

Doesnt make much sense "why", but this workflow works.... guess that is what matters.

Thanks Reg,

Kirk

Distinguished Mentor
Message 4 of 4 (1,530 Views)

11-02-2012 06:42 AM in reply to: karthur1

Probably because "convert" convers idw to Inventor dwg whereas "export" converts idw to Autodcad dwg.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube